MarkM - Neil Young - Sugar Mountain

dennisg

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Mark, there aren't many video uploads I've seen, certainly including my own, where I watch them and say to myself, "Well, that's about as good as that song's ever been played, even by the original artist. But I truly believe that about your version of Sugar Mountain, a song I've always loved. Congratulations on a really terrific job.

I don't know what to tell you about singing, but it's different for every person. But I think Chris and Suzi are both on the right track with their baby-steps approach. There's no reason you have to jump into the river. Just dip a single toe in by letting loose with a couple of words to your melody. Doesn't matter if they're the real words -- and it doesn't even matter if they're in any known language. Just get some sounds out there that are done to the melody. Keep doing that every couple of lines. The next time you run through the song, do it every line. Next time, string some words together, until you're essentially babbling the whole song.

Good luck. And great job.

tovo

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Hey Mark this is just great. Gee you play so smoothly, certainly something I aspire to. I always look forward to your videos. If you sing even a fraction as well as you play it will be something to watch, and I give you massive kudos for committing to it anyway. I have a feeling a star is about to be born actually.

I had to re-read Dennis' post...I though he was suggesting you do a few lines! I went back and checked and it's all OK. Remember...say NO to drugs kids!

MarkM

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Beaker - Thanks!!! It's great when it starts to sound right.

Rick - Thanks. Yeah the intro was a bit long. Just trying to explain what was going on in my head the past week or so.

Dennis - Thank you, Thank you. That is high praise from you. It's still not quite there as I'm missing some runs and fills that I haven't figured out yet. I'll get there. As for the singing I'm slowley getting there but I notice that I almost whisper the words. I'll have to project a bit and make sure I'm at least close to being in tune. Pitch.... Well no promises there.

Tony - Thanks. If my playing is a 4/5 then I'm afraid my singing is going to really be bad. I think I found my voice but it was so bad I had to take it outside and put 6 holes in it. I'll have to find another tomorrow.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic