MarkM - Neil Young - Sugar Mountain

TGMatt

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:38 am

really really lovely..

Lavallee

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:55 am

Very good Mark, that G chord looks very natural and the hammer on sounds clean. Looking forward to the voice part.

Marc

dekotaj

Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:51 am

WOW Mark!!

One Hell of a job on this song.Did a great job of grabing those single notes and walk downs on the run.The strumming was fantastic.You keep this up and we will be buying tickets to see you play.BRAVO!!

Kevin

BigBear

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:05 am

Mark- sounds really good! You really make that Taylor sing! Good strumming! My theory on singing is if Neil Young can sing a song with his nasal, soprano voice anyone should be able to sing them right?! lol!

Great post, thanks for sharing!

Cheers! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:58 am

Well now you've done it, Mark! Gone and promised to sing as well?!
I always say.. 'Never drink & text'!

Great version of Sugar Mountain. Your hammer-ons were great as usual. I liked the light & shade / different levels of strumming you did in various parts of the song. I also noticed that you're placing your fret fingers down 'in the order that you need them' on some of the chords, as Neil suggests.

Great job all round!

izzyhara

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:12 am

WOW !! That was darn near flawless !! Thanks for reminding me that I used to play that song, back in the 70's. Sounds perfect. As for singing, there is probably all kinds of psychological stuff that we could discuss. But I like what Chris said.... start by humming along, or I sometimes whistle. This is where you can really make the song your own. Rather than striving for perfection while singing and playing, strive for heart. That's what I try to do. There are some really cool lyrics in this song. I sang along with your playing, until I couldn't remember the words anymore. As accomplished as you are with the guitar part, I think you could add singing with no problem. You do have to "divide" your brain a little bit - one part of the brain keeps the rhythm going, while the other part of your brain expresses the lyrics. "Oh to live on Sugar Mountain". Excellent post. Can't wait to hear you sing. Izzy

suziko

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 am

Mark- great job! Love those strong, clear hammer-ons. Doesn't sound to me like they're any weaker being done with your ring finger than with your middle. Also congrats on figuring out the tuning. Moments like that are so sweet, aren't they?

When I first started learning to play guitar I'd try to sing along and get completely flummoxed. My hands would just STOP. I've found that what works for me is to get the song to a point where I know it well enough (not perfected) and then I start singing along but without worrying too much about the lyrics. SO with this song I'd be like, "Want to liuuuuhh on Duhduh mouduh." Ok, that makes sense when I say it, not sure if it does typed out! ;) My point is, I get the tune first and just get used to my mouth moving while playing, and then worry about getting the right lyrics later. Good luck!

MarkM

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:42 am

Greg, Matt, Marc, Kevin, Bear Thanks a whole bunch. Much appreciated!!!

Al - Not a drop.....Yesterday... I promise. I figured that if I stuck my neck out here I would have to do it. I'm experimenting with different picks or no picks at this point trying to get the right feel.

Izzy/Suzi - thank you. I'm pretty much going with what you both said and trying to get the lyrics down. I just don't want to start each line on a down beat and make it sound to structured or regimented. I have a whole new appreciation for the folks that can sing and play at the same time.

MarkM

beaker

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:47 am

Mark, excellent job on Sugar Mountain. I love that song. That is cool that you figured out that tuning. Keep on strumming! Beaker.

RicksPick

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Mark that was a long read
But worth it to get to the video

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic