MarkM - Neil Young - Sugar Mountain

MarkM

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Alot of first for me in this song. Some I've got here and some I'll need your help/pushing to get the rest. So "first" number one. I've been messing around with this song for a couple of weeks and it just never sounded right to me. I knew I was getting the correct chords as I double checked all over the place so that wasn't the problem. Then something snapped in the noggin and I decided to tune the whole thing down. (The song is in standard tuning) I went down a half step and tried it out. Nope not it. Close but not quite. So then I thought well it can't be in D or double drop D as I know those pretty well and that wouldn't sound right. So I actually PM Neil desperatly looking for help. No sooner than I sent that message and I figured it out. I went down a whole step and BINGO that was it. So This is a fisrt for me. As some of you know I have no issues with different tunings but this one I've never done before.

2nd "first" for me is that after I got back from my week away I learned a few new songs and used "Neil's" proper G chord fingering. After much pain (mental and physical) I got it to work. Well I was actually stuck in no mans land where I was getting the new way down on the new song and the older songs that I've learned the other way I no couldn't put down a solid fingering. With nowhere else to go but forward I've just about learned the new way and committed to my hands memory. My ring finger on my left hand is nowhere near as strong as my middle finger so the hammerons are a little difficult for moment if I have to use that finger. I know that will get better in time.

3rd "first" is, well, not here yet. I'm putting myself out there and WILL sing this song and post it. Ouch....Just committed myself now. So with that said I want to sing while I play and I just don't seem to have that down yet. I have many questions for all you "Singers" out there. How do you do it??????? Is it just a matter of being able to play the song without hesitation and in your sleep so that you can sing along? I would imagine that I would have to have the words down cold as well. This is hugely frustrating for me because as soon as I sing the strumming/timing gets a bit loose. Any hints are welcome.

Sorry for the long ramble here. It's been a while since I've posted something. What you'll see here is my attempt at this song. My goal is to work on a few more fills and there is a base run that I want to get down that goes from the baby F to the Dm. I'll be working on that and siging so that I can get my first "singing" (if you really want to call what comes out of my mouth that) video this week. Thanks for your patience and please add any comments that you feel I could add to make this song better.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:36 pm

That sounds great Mark! Well done! ... as to the singing.... I find I focus either on the lyrics or on the chords and strumming if the song is fairly new. SO one of those has to be down by heart pretty much. Usually I'll work on the struming and just hum along so that I can work out where the lyrics fit in, then I'll focus on the lyrics. Have fun... wish you luck!

jayswett

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:39 pm

I was just about to say that that was awesome, but I'll save that descriptor for the version with vocals. Seriously, though, that was fun to watch, and your new G chord looked almost effortless. I, too, have been working on that fingering with Streets of London, among other songs, and still haven't managed to nail it more than 75% of the time. Getting better, though. How about a vocal version of Love is a Rose?

haoli25

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Mark, great job. "Sugar Mountain" has always been one of my all time favorite NY songs. I really enjoyed listening to your performance. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

BobR

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Mark,

Great job. That's another NY song I really like and you did it really nice. I was waiting for the singing to start but at around 5:00 I figured not. Then I went back and read your 3rd item (next post?). I have been trying the singing thing as well and I know what you mean.Left brain right brain thing. Oh yeah the new G fingering looked very clean and I thought your hammer ons were sounding good

Bob

jim56

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:33 pm

WoW, that was great Mark! You are on your way to mastering that NY tune. Well done, looking forward to your next version with lyrics.

Jim

pbraun

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Love it, Surgar Mountain is a great song and you did great! Kepp 'em coming!
Pete

d_dog

Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Wow, Very excellent work Mark! You're hammer on's are great with the new finger haha. You are a very disciplined player and learner. Really can't wait to hear the vocals.

MarkM

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks all,

Chris - Thanks. I'll need all the luck I can get. :)

Jay - I thought I would never get that G fingering down. Too many years doing it the old way. I'm surprised that it has come along this well in just the last week.

Bill - Thanks. It's one of my favorites as well.

Bob - Left vs. Right brain is at an all time battle right now. I've just got to get a bit more comfortable with this song and hopefully I'll get there. Mind you though, my singing will only bring this song down......It's pretty bad.

Jim - Thanks. Hopefully I'll get there later this week.

Pete - Thanks!!!

Dog - Thanks. If I could sing like you I'd be a bit more positive.

MarkM

Craig

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:17 am

Nice job Mark. I've always loved that song and I thought you played it very well. I'm looking forward to hearing the singing part. I haven't posted anything with singing yet so I don't want to sound too brave, but you play that song so well, I say go for it! Thanks for sharing!
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic