MarkM - Cowgirl in the Sand

MarkM

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Well I'm still in standard tuning but dropped a full step and was fooling around with this song. Still very much a work in process. However I remember someone else on this site who posted this song a while ago with strait strumming. I just wanted to show (hopefully) what this song needs apart from the standard chords. It's all about timing and small embellishments here and there to make it work with the thumping. I was working on various degrees of palm muting and level of attack. Kind of all over the place really. As stated above, its far from a finished product.

MarkM

[video type=youtube][/video]

d_dog

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Mark you're on fire! Aaaaaaa and the crowd goes wild! You're right the hammer-on's and palm muting add a nice flair to this song, that percussive Neil Young sound is key. Great work Mark B) Looking forward to getting rid of this cold to get back in the game!

dennisg

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Somewhere out there, Neil Young is using a break from his busy tour schedule to sit in front of his MacBook and check out the TG site to remind himself how to play his songs. He goes right to your videos, Mark.

tovo

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm

As usual Mark I'm loving your work. Thanks for posting it.

RicksPick

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Nice Mark

I Will try muting sometime in the future and will check back to this
For now voice muting will have to do.

Always enjoy the videos
Quality as usual

RicksPick

izzyhara

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Very fun. Love the muting. I always loved the chord progressions in this song.... Thanks for sharing. Keep 'em coming. Izzy

BobR

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Mark,

Another great NY tune. I really like your palm muting and hammer ons.

Keep em coming

Bob

suziko

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Wow, Mark, that was just stellar. Now I really want to learn that song! I think I'm going to have to grab the chords this week and watch your video to find out how to do it properly!

Suzi

MarkM

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks all. Just listened to it again. Have to admit I did some cringing. Really needs to be cleaned up.

Dog - Thanks. This song is all about the beat. If I had a stomp box this is where I would use it. Yeah get that cold over with (just getting over mine). Can't wait for the next step.

Dennis - Thanks but he's only looking for a laugh....... I tell you though, I can't wait to see him again.

Tony - Thanks!!! Maybe you can give the singing a go........

Rick - Thanks again. I probably went a bit overkill on the muting in hindsight.

Izzy - Thank you!

Bob - I think I'm about done with the NY songs for now. I've got one more but refuse to post it until it is danm near perfect.

MarkM

MarkM

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:24 pm

suziko wrote:
Wow, Mark, that was just stellar. Now I really want to learn that song! I think I'm going to have to grab the chords this week and watch your video to find out how to do it properly!

Suzi
Must have just missed you Suzi. The chords are pretty easy. Nothing out of the ordinary. The trick is (which I'm a long way from) to keep the beat while hitting notes in and around the Chord. Good luck!!!! Can't wait to see it.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic