'Stairway to Heaven' by AcousticAl

dekotaj

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:46 pm

Bear- You've still got 6 more weeks of winter to hibernate! But I'm glad you surfaced long enough to watch my vid. It is one of the best rock songs ever, for sure.

It is the greatest rock song ever!!!And the most recognizable lead guitar in history.And I don't care how many times it been played,or by how many people.Its a classic,And you sounded good doing it.And with the new Yamaha you can add the (electric lead part)cant wait to hear you rock that out.

Kevin
PS
How dose it feel,look to be a lot narrower than some guitar?Can you strap,to stand up and play,And not that anyone would but can you change the bottom for the top?Dose it have a tuner on the preamp?

jayswett

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 am

You are well on your way with that song. And that guitar of yours sounds very nice. I have a Yamaha acoustic which I really enjoy playing from time to time. I'm fairly certain I would be castrated pronto should I endeavour to buy another guitar at this point, so that silent guitar is out of the question for me currently. I've been laying the groundwork for some time about getting a Taylor, but the boss hasn't given me the green light yet.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this song. So far, it sounds great.

tovo

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:59 am

jayswett wrote:
And that guitar of yours sounds very nice. I have a Yamaha acoustic which I really enjoy playing from time to time. I'm fairly certain I would be castrated pronto should I endeavour to buy another guitar at this point, so that silent guitar is out of the question for me currently.
Keep working Jay...keep working

RicksPick

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:49 am

Al

A very BIG congrats mate, A big tune done well

RicksPick

Catman

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:20 am

Great start Al!

I really enjoyed listening to that. After watching the video, I played it again a couple of times in the background, just to listen.

David

AndyT

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 am

Al,

Hmmm... What to say... Of course you've already heard all the compliments and praises. And you even got a couple of technical comments.

The only real drawback to living in Hawaii is that we are on the end of the time zones. It's already tomorrow for most of the world, (well, half at any rate) so by the time I see stuff there's nothing left to say.

So, since you did such a great job on the song, let me choose a few other items to comment on.

1. Either grow the beard or not man. C'mon on already, you're making guys like Me, Bear and Tony look like we don't know one end of a razor from the other.

2. I think you should put some tissue paper over the holes in the guitar body. It just looks starnge and it's making the rest of us want one.

3. The box on the floor is distracting me and I can't concentrate.

4. Flippin' GREAT job man. Loved it! Keep it up. Your skills have improved dramatically since you started here and you are a credit to Neil's teaching. Also, you can ignore items 1 thru 3.

:lol:

michelew

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:50 am

Al that was seriously COOLLLL!!!!! You're a legend, just like the song.

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 am

Matt- Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Looking forward to your next upload.

Kevin- You're right about the lead. I'd know it after hearing one or two notes on the radio. Re. the feel of the Yamaha- glad you asked as I was going to post this elsewhere...

It is a travel/practice guitar, so it is a bit smaller in general. It does have a narrower neck. The frets are also a bit closer together. I have to squish my fingers on a few chords.. but the plus side is that I don't have to stretch as far for some chords.

But here's the weird thing.. I would have sworn that it had fewer frets than my Fender acoustic/electric (20). It has more (22). While it is a smaller guitar, it has a longer neck than my Fender. There is no sound hole to stop the neck, so it keeps going!

Re. your other questions- it does take a strap. You can't change the bottom for the top. It does not have a tuner, but it does have basic treble and bass eq.

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 am

jayswett wrote:
You are well on your way with that song. And that guitar of yours sounds very nice. I have a Yamaha acoustic which I really enjoy playing from time to time. I'm fairly certain I would be castrated pronto should I endeavour to buy another guitar at this point, so that silent guitar is out of the question for me currently. I've been laying the groundwork for some time about getting a Taylor, but the boss hasn't given me the green light yet.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this song. So far, it sounds great.

Jay- I'd use my 'beg forgiveness / ask permission' quote for you- but that castration thing could be a bit of an issue. You'll figure out a way.. we all do. :whistle:

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:46 am

Rick and David- thanks for checking it out.

Andy- It's funny. I found being able to see through the guitar distracting as well at first. Need to clean stuff up behind me next time! Thanks for the comment(s).

Michele- Thank you. Glad to have you back as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic