'Stairway to Heaven' by AcousticAl

Lavallee

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Al, great job, you have no problem with this song.The arpeggio sounds really nice. I would just suggest to keep the hand moving during the strumming that goes up the neck, but I am sure you already know that.

Love the sound of your guitar, what agreat idea.

Marc

BigBear

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Al- sounds great! Very nice. All you need now is the "Big Slide" before you start the intro again. That's the most fun part!

I don't care what anybody says but this is still the greatest rock song ever written. You've done it proud.

Thaks for the video, I really enjoyed it! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:03 pm

d_dog wrote:
Awesome job Al! Really great job, but didn't you read the sign? Image
d_dog: Did you take this pic, or is it something from the web???? I am just asking because I have seen it in Sam Ash Guitars in Hollywood. I cracked up and the guy working there told me that they just got so sick of hearing those songs that they did it as a joke to begin with. They never took it down though..... :lol: :lol:

I would not doubt that this is probably done in more than one store..... :P

Lavallee

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:09 pm

I actually saw that in Wayne's World ( a great classic :silly: ). Wayne wanted to try the guitar of dreams and at the first chord, that manager jump on him and point at the wall with the infamous no Stairway to Heaven when trying guitars.

Great movie to watch with your teenagers.

Marc

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks for all of your comments. Answers below..

Bill- Gotta love the lighter! The SLG has 2 levels of reverb- 'room' and 'hall'. I had it set to room (I think).

Izzy- Sorry, I am NOT up for that challenge. I hear MarkM is looking for a song to sing though :laugh:

Dave- Thanks for watching and commenting.

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:19 pm

tovo wrote:
Al that's sensational man. Really, really good. Any buzzing or minor mistakes are forgotten in the overall quality of the performance. I'm blown away. Massive kudos from down under my friend.

PLUS...I certainly appreciated another look at the Yamaha. It will take a while for mine to arrive but looking more forward to it now.

Oh I meant to ask. Why the headphones? You have it plugged into an Amp right? Can't you just play it like any guitar when it's amplified?

I thought this vid would get your attention, Tony. You'll love your guitar when it arrives.

Re. your question- I didn't have it plugged into an amp.. it's plugged into my computer. Needed the headphones to hear it properly.

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 pm

MJ- Thanks for the compliment! Kickassness rocks!

Dog- Funny picture, and true on some level. I should have mentioned this in my intro.. Another reason that I didn't take on this song at first was how overplayed it was in its day. And would everyone just roll their eyes when I started playing it wherever I happened to be?

Well after getting the song this far, I'd have to say that I wouldn't care. I play for myself anyways and I still can't get my head around the fact that I'M making the guitar sound like this (with Neil's help of course). Pretty cool.

On top of all that--it is just an awesome song (still).

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Bob- Thanks for your comment. I can't take too many days off like this, or I'll have to start SELLING my guitars.

Mark- Thanks. BTW- I watched and played along to your version of 'Sugar Mountain' today (or at least tried to). You really did a great job on that.

Suzi- Thanks for being my soundboard. I actually wasn't going to post this yet, but Suzi said I should. Suzi gets what Suzi wants!

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Marc- Thanks for your comment. As usual, I need to work on my strumming in general. Weird that I find fingerpicking easier. Having a brutal time with Sugar Mountain that I mentioned above. You're right about needing to keep my hand moving. I think you can tell I had to think a lot more about the chords/shapes etc. when I was in the strumming section.

Bear- You've still got 6 more weeks of winter to hibernate! But I'm glad you surfaced long enough to watch my vid. It is one of the best rock songs ever, for sure.

TGMatt

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey al

As always superb...and boy do I have a lot of catching up to do..now if only I had a guitar and some time..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic