Halleluja - a progress video - michelew

prawnpig

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:40 am

Very nice enjoyed it.

Dave

BobR

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 pm

Michele,

Glad to have you back. That was very nicely done. I really enjoyed it, but I was waiting for the warts, I didn't notice any :laugh: I think I'll go watch it a few more times.

Bob

RicksPick

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Michele,

Let me add to the chorus

Well done very smooth,
pulling the wool over with under selling, lol.
good to have you back

RicksPick

jayswett

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:00 pm

In his Streets of London lesson, Neil makes a useful distinction between the barred F chord for strumming, and the barred F chord for fingerpicking. The difference is that with fingerpicking, one rarely needs to fret the 5th string since the alernating bass notes lie on the 6th and 4th strings, and not on the 5th string (I'm sure there are exceptions to that). As a result, the barred F chord can be played without employing the pinky finger, which has 2 advantages 1) it's simply easier to play as a bar chord, and for those of us who still struggle with bar chords, any advantage can help, and 2) it allows one to play melody notes using the pinky finger.

Michele, you didn't seem to have any trouble with your F chords, but others might find this information useful. Neil explains this concept in detail in the Left Hand section of the Streets of London lesson. It's worth a look even if that particular song doesn't interest you.

dennisg

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Absolutely beautiful, Michele -- you looked confident and assured. It's so good to have you back. Funny, as you were playing it, I could hear Tony's voice singing it. But then I often hear voices.

tovo

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi Michele it's so very nice to have you back in the fold and you're back with somewhat of a bang. You girls like to make a big impact eh! Very nice. I agree with Jay, you took on the more difficult option and did it so very smoothly. I'm very honoured that you took some inspiration from my version, and although you chose a different key you played it so very well, quite flawless. Look forward to the next installment. Bravo.

lmc831

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Hey Michele,
Great job! After 3 weeks of not practicing,I think that was nicely done. YOu were missed around the forum. Glad u are back.

Lisa

Hydroman52

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi Michelle,

That was nicely done. You have good form. Your fingers are so well arched all the time and that thumb looks like it is smack in the middle of the neck. The F barre is landing well. You are getting the barre down first and you keep playing smoothly while getting the rest of your fingers in place. I am wondering if you think about your form or is this all coming quite naturally?

Hydroman52

michelew

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:06 pm

WOW you guys really are THE BEST! I was pretty much putting it up because I figured I wasn't likely to post for a little while, but now I'm inspired again to get on with practicing. I'm getting ready for work so I won't respond to everyone individually, but I appreciate every one of your comments - a big thank you. And it is mighty nice to be back. I really missed the community!!

Jay - I used different version of the F Barre. For a lot of it I only used the barre and the highest part of the E-form (on the G-string). I found that the transitions were too fast to form the whole chord and then move to the next. SInce I didn't need it anyway it helped to transition easier. I used the approach on the G chord as well - only 2 fingers, except the G before the E7, where the 3rd (unplucked string/note) forms part of the E7 chord. Again it made the E7 transition smoother. I learned the approach from "Greensleeves/What child is this" I think and recommend that finger pickers check that out too.

Suzi - BAN(D)She - I notice that BAN(D)SHE or BAN(D)SHEE has been recognised (I think I saw Chris using it) - I'm quite partial to it, but so if you want to keep working the acronyms that would be fun. I considered for a second saying we could turn it into a mini competition, but given some of the ones that were coming out and that a few boys got revved up (you just have to say boobs and they're off - oh there goes one now), I decided not to. So to refresh your memory.

B -Barre
A -Annihilating
N - Newbie
(D) - 'cause it looks kookie and we're a group - who know's one day me might do a collaboration showing our barre triumphs - maybe Roxanne - or "I'm yours" )- (the (D) is Chris' contribution - thanks Chris)
She - because we're women (or blokes prepared to wear a high 'thick shirt' (also known as boobs) - although I haven't seen any applications from blokes yet).

I also like the image of a bunch or wild, free-spirited women causing a ruckus.

Izzy - you're more that welcome to join (although you don't appear to be a newbie - not that Susie is either). I Haven't talked to Megan recently, but she is the other founding member. Anyone that thinks they fit the above are welcome to join.

On with the responses to responses:
Lisa - I actually recorded the video before I dropped off the radar. At that time I had been practising consistently. I've started again and it is coming back OK but things are a little more clumsy.

Dennis - do you hear Tony's voice often?? You might want to get that looked at. ... Tony's honey baritone (sweet description) pipes who have made this into real music.

Marc - I've been playing around with iMovie to boost the sound - no amp on the guitar itself.

Izzy - I find the range on this really challenging too, made more so by the amount of emotion in it. Interesting idea about the competition - I'll think about it. I wasn't going to enter as I assume that my Yamaha is sort of similar to the prize and I thought that someone in TG might need a guitar a lot more than me. (EDit - added later - ANd I'm sure the entries will be hard to compete with knowing the creative lot that frequent this site. ) Still the competition looks like fun, so who knows.

Again, thanks to everyone for your support - you're a sweet bunch.

Michele

MarkM

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Michele,

I love the song and you played it wonderfully. C'mon fess up... You've been practicing all along. At least it looked that way to me. I didn't notice any warts as you put them. Your playing is very inspiring. Thanks and welcome back!!!

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic