Halleluja - a progress video - michelew

michelew

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 am

Well a lot of you have been saying you like to see warts and all videos. Well this is a progress video of me learning Halleluja - the standard version transposed into C. I filmed this on 20/1/2010. I had decided to not post it, but ..well here it is.

I had intended to get the song to the point where I was comfortable enough to sing as well, but getting in front of the camera seems to make my throat tight and my brain lose track of ...well lots of things. As many of you know I love fingerpicking, which is one of the reasons I decided to learn this song, another being that I was inspired by Tony's video which made me all teary at the time (actually every time I watch it). In fact when I sing this song I get a bit chocked up too (does anyone else experience that?).

What's new here? Well you may notice I'm using a barred F. As a founding member of the BAN(D)She I figured it was time. I don't land it perfectly every time - but - progress video.

I do intend to do one with singing - when my courage kicks in and the nerves settle enough.

Another reason I decided to post this is that as many of you know I haven't been playing very much for the last 3 weeks (actually since 22/1). I moved house and pretty much did nothing but hard physical work for 2 weeks straight. I tell you it wrecks your nails! Now that I'm plying again, I feel like a complete beginner again (still working on rebuilding my callouses) and that it will take me a bit of practice to get back to where I was in this video.

SO that's it. Halleluja - a progress video - no singing.

Michele

stratman3

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:23 am

I just watched your video,before heading out to work, excellent job, nice a smooth.
Another one on my list.
Thanks for sharing. B)

jim56

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:53 am

Hi Michele, that piece is truly moving and I sometimes experience that emotional choke when I listen to it. You did very well and I look forward to hearing it again with lyrics. Thanks for sharing.

haoli25

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:22 am

Awesome Michele, just awesome!! Must be an Aussie thing, like Matt and Tony, you under-promised and over-delivered. :) I have watched it three times and it gets better each time. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

willem

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 am

Michele, where was the smile at the end???I give you one!!!In no time you can do it with your eyes closed and add the lyrics,, i enjoyed it very much,,'' i heard ther was a secret chord'' you know them all and the fingerpick went smooth,,,thanks,, great your back.

Lavallee

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:41 am

Hi Michele, I think you have been secretely practicing. Your playing looks excellent, the F chord is solid and you have integrated Neil's G chord, the fingerpicking is fluid, the bass notes and the high pitch notes are well balanced. Your guitar sounds different (better): are you using an amplifier?

Marc

izzyhara

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:11 am

Ok that was absolutely beautiful. Your video is now my training video for learning this song. I don't think you can legitimately label this your "warts and all" video though. It was near flawless. I love to sing and play, but I find this song difficult to sing to, not so much the picking and singing at the same time, but the range. I am jealous of your barre chord. I know - why don't you write competition lyrics and submit this for the guitar? Thanks again.... nice to "see" you. Izzy

suziko

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 am

Michele,

Absolutely beautiful. I agree with Izzy- where are the warts? And nice job with that barred-F, lady! Watching that makes me proud to be a member of Ban(d)she (although I no longer remember what our acronym stands for! And why the parentheses around d?).

Glad to have you back. I missed you!

Suzi

TGMatt

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:06 am

You claim u had no internet ??..

ROCKSTAR !

jayswett

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:28 am

As much as I loved your Scarborough Fair video, this one was even better. Can't wait to hear you sing. I've tried playing this song, and I've found that playing in the key of C is harder than G. It didn't touble you at all, it would seem. Very nice performance. I'm glad you're back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic