Isn't She Lovely

Lavallee

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Great video Dan, not much to suggest besides giving some congratulations. Nice playing

Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:58 am

That was really good imho. You've obviously got some chops there, and I like your relaxed fingerpicking style. I'm still pretty rigid and glued to the tab when I play.

Can I ask you where you're looking to improve? What gives you problems?

suziko

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:42 am

Nice playing! Sounded pretty much flawless to me.

I've used both the Elixir and the D'Addario and I like both.

Catman

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 am

Dan,

Thanks. I really enjoyed that!

David

webtvdan

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Hope I’m not breaking any forum rules here – if so send me a message and I’ll edit this post.

I’ve purchased tabs from Jorge Nolla in addition to learning songs from Neil here at Totally Guitar. You’ll find the tabs for ‘Over The Rainbow’ and ‘Isn’t She Lovely’ there. Slightly modified the ‘Over The Rainbow’ tabs to play on my steel string acoustic. Found I could play it as written holding my classical guitar in the traditional position (left foot elevated with guitar on thigh), but near impossible holding my acoustic comfortably in my lap.

Actually I’ve acquired tabs from a variety of sources on the internet in the last year – Neil’s lessons are by far the clearest with his 7 part videos.

AcousticAl asked what I was looking to improve. What gives me problems?

As mentioned in my introduction post and profile – started playing guitar again last winter to entertain senior citizens. My singing voice has improved – but still gets horse – an indication of improper breathing. Need to spend more time doing vocal exercises.

I’m getting quicker learning the solos. Took me over two months to comfortably play ‘Here comes the Sun’ last summer, a month to learn Sting’s ‘Fields of Gold’ – about two weeks with ‘Over The Rainbow’ and just a week for ‘Isn’t she lovely’.

My next solo will be ‘Mrs. Robinson’. I’m not a fan of alternate tunings. I may follow with Neil’s ‘Linus & Lucy’ in a drop ‘D’ tuning. Haven’t decided yet. Also like his ‘I’ll have to say I love you in a song” for the subsequent undertaking.

Oh, and I need to smile occasionally when playing – shouldn’t look like I’m in pain.

tovo

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Hey Dan like everyone else has said this is so very good I just sat and enjoyed it. great playing. You know in terms of smiling or not smiling, you looked nice and relaxed to me. I'm not a naturally smiley person either and I think if you are forcing a smile it doesn't look natural. (You didn't look forced in that video, the point I'm making is your natural demeanor is always best I think)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic