My first YouTube Video- Michelle

mcfingers

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Alright gang, I have officially dipped my toes into the video post waters. I ordered a Kodak Zi8 Camcorder, but they are all back ordered so I decided to see if I could get something on my iMac webcam. I was playing around with the volume and other settings and before I knew it I had played through Michelle and it wasn't too shabby. A few small hicups and warts and I spontaneously started signing before I could stop myself but, for a first effort it's OK. I messed up the ending but I wasn't planning on posting this at first so oh, well.
The biggest thing I noticed when viewing this (and this is the first time I have EVER seen myself playing and singing) is that I look much older than I imagined. I just had my 60th birthday last Tuesday and my brother-in-law told me that 60 is the new 40 but I don't see it. :laugh:

I hope it sounds better than I look. :P
Steve

d_dog

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Very nice work! I noticed your are not actually left handed, the video is flipped. Was this on purpose? Great job on the song. Since this is for feedback, the first thing I noticed was that it sounded like you had a pretty firm grip on the pick, a few strums seemed a little heavy now and again. I don't think any of us want to be limp wristed, hahah, but it really does help.
Great to have you join the club. Looking forward to seeing more from you. I think the iMac did a nice job. Curious to see what the Kodak will look and sound like.

dekotaj

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey Steve,

Happy birthday,A little late.

Welcome to target,great band,great song and great cover.

Cant wait for more.

Kevin

Lavallee

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Steve great introduction video: great playing and singing and the first lefty to make a video (still waiting for yours MJ). The quality of the video is impressive since it is from a web camera. The Mac is coming out better than any PC, there is no lag what so ever, no grain in the image.

Happy 40th

Marc

wammer

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:10 pm

well that is more than just a dip that was a plunge...Wow. Nice job. Enjoyed it very much. Can just imagine what youll come up with when you have plan to make a vid. picture is good and sound was great.

Thanks for sharing

Tammy in Ontario

dennisg

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Steve,

As far as I'm concerned, you can sing any time. Great job, solid strumming, nice and relaxed.

One thing you might consider: there are a couple of opportunities to introduce a walking bass line where you've got some strumming. Off hand, I can't tell you where that is, but I can hear it in my head.

But a job very well done, especially for your first video.

Lavallee

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:13 pm

d_dog wrote:
Very nice work! I noticed your are not actually left handed, the video is flipped. Was this on purpose? Great job on the song. Since this is for feedback, the first thing I noticed was that it sounded like you had a pretty firm grip on the pick, a few strums seemed a little heavy now and again. I don't think any of us want to be limp wristed, hahah, but it really does help.
Great to have you join the club. Looking forward to seeing more from you. I think the iMac did a nice job. Curious to see what the Kodak will look and sound like.
You are right Dog the image must be reverse (the ring and the wrtiting on the shirt). Good observation

Marc

mcfingers

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:15 pm

d_dog wrote:
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I don't know why the vid is flipped. Maybe my iMac is channeling Paul McCartney? I too heard a few buzzes and twangs, I can't blame the pick because I wasn't using one. I like to finger pick most songs and I just forget to pick one up. I'm in the habit of using my finger nails as picks. The thumb on the beat notes and the back of the finger finger nails to strum. I guess I should work on that.
Thanks again,
Steve

haoli25

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Steve, you are not OLD, you're BACKWARD! :) Of course, this looks normal to MJ. :laugh: Great job with both the singing and the playing. I watched your video twice and I really, really liked it. BRAVO!!!! Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

mcfingers

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Thank you everyone you are too kind.
I guess the Zi8 camera might be a good idea after all so I can play right handed again. I guess everyone could watch it in a mirror. :P Maybe not.
I appreciate the nice feed back. It was most certainly an off-the-cuff first video. I wasn't really planning on posting it at first and I hope to get better at polishing things up a bit.

Thanks again,
Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic