MarkM - The Beatles "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" 1st attempt at singing

coomba

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Mark M If I could play like you I would sing all day.
You have definitely got it in you, keep going I say.
Well done
Cheers
Scott

Lavallee

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Mark, I am glad you decided to break the wall of " no I can't". It is a difficult decision to expose yourself in front of everybody. When you listen to your video, I am sure that you think that you are not too bad after all. This is what I think anyway, your singing came out in a good tone with the playing.

Now that I just did it, I am singing out loud when playing with a new confidence and feel I am already improving. Like playing , signing improve with practice, so I am practicing.

Marc

Craig

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Hey Mark,
Nice job! I don't have any technical advice to offer, only to say that I admire and respect all people willing to record themselves singing...I'm not there yet! :laugh: Way to go and thanks for sharing.
Craig

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 pm

HUGE props for posting your singing, Mark. I was most amazed at how you (and other TG-ers) can keep proper tempo, not flub chords etc. while singing. Not something that comes easy to me.

You played it great, and as others have said- with more confidence, your singing will be even better.

MarkM

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Steve - thanks for the words of encouragement. I used that trick to post just me playing awhile ago. Now I certainly don't have any issues doing that. OK I'll give it a go. So I'll think about my playing, singing and now throw on underwear on top of that. Should be fun. Thanks.

Izzy - Thanks! Tough to screw up "Hey". To be honest I wasn't really nervous about the camera but rather having no idea what was going to come out of my mouth. It's like when you are at the fisrt Tee on a golf course. I can say I know that 7 out of 10 times I know where this ball is going. The other 3 I have no clue. Well I have no clue on 10 of 10 as this is my first tee box.

Joe - Thanks. It is much harder than I thought and I'll give all the credit in the world to folks who can do this.

Pierre - HA. Actually that noise I made wasn't from the voice lesson but rather me just being exasborated. I'll try and ham it up in the future. I really hope to get better at this.

Scott - Thanks. My playing has a long way to go I'm afraid. My...ah...singing... well let's just say I'm willing to be putty in someones hands. Can't even say a work in progress yet.

Marc - Thanks but I actually think it's worse now than earlier today. However I do think I could probably do a bit better now. I need to figure out what my voice should sound like then put it to a song first. I'll follow your lead.

Craig - Thanks a bunch!!

MarkM

MarkM

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:13 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
HUGE props for posting your singing, Mark. I was most amazed at how you (and other TG-ers) can keep proper tempo, not flub chords etc. while singing. Not something that comes easy to me.

You played it great, and as others have said- with more confidence, your singing will be even better.
Thanks Al. I think that the trick is if you sing you can cover up some of the missed notes. :) :) When we don't sing we're really putting it out there and can't afford too many mistakes. I just need to grow a set and sing the damn song and see how it comes out. After watching it for the 5th time it really is bad. I should at the very least put some emotion into it. I sang like a statue but sounded worse...... :laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

BobR

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Mark,

Way to put yourself out there. I did like the singing version better. Unfortunately for some reason my video kept starting and stopping every few seconds, so I didn't get to enjoy it all at once.

Great post and keep up the good work

Bob

suziko

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Mark,

I'm really proud of you. It's hard to put yourself out there and sing for others. But I much preferred the singing version. Some songs work great as acoustic solos, but most really benefit from having someone sing the melody.

The first one's the hardest. The next one will be much easier!

Suzi

MarkM

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks Bob!!

Suzi,Thanks. I'll take your word for it that it gets easier. :) :) Maybe I should have had some liquid courage.

MarkM

d_dog

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:53 pm

So glad you posted a singing song Mark! Nice job! I say go for it man, you've got that out of the way, now you can let'er rip! You should really push it up to the standard pitch, I am sure you have the voice for it. Try this, put on your headphones, turn on the camera, and play along to the song while playing and singing, turn up the headphones a fair bit so you can really hear the vocal and yourself singing inside your head. Go back and listen to what came out on the recording, I bet you find that you're capable of that pitch.
Of course a mic stand will help, that will allow you to use your pick and sing and get a well mixed sound.
Bravo man!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic