MarkM - The Beatles "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" 1st attempt at singing

michelew

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 am

MArk,

I've just joined the Mark admiration society. Great job!!! I think you did fantastically and admire your courage. I've recorded (make that recorded and then erased) my singing a couple of times so I know how the nerves play havoc with the brain and the voice box. As everyone has said, you sounded fine and I'm sure it's all bound to get better and easier as you become more confident and ease up on yourself. (...I know..I know... I can hear Tony, Dennis and Suzi saying 'practice what you preach woman').

Thanks for the example of how do it.

I love how the singers are coming out of the closet / woodwork (take your pick) at the moment.

Michele

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 am

Mark I was one who could emphathise with you but hey you've gone and spoilt that by singing!! Whats up man ....

Take my hat off to you I know thats not easy, I was sitting practising a song for the vid competition tonight and its not going well at all.

I guess those who are singers that have commented have sound advice I might need to listen to them a bit more (actually a lot more)

Good on ya mate, well done

Chas

willem

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:41 am

Mark,i love to see that everybody is throw there singin voice in, my experience is when you are under people and they ask ''can you play that song''? and you can and play only the chords they don't recognice the song, but when you go and sing the lyrics with your playing, ''HEY'' they do,, and when they want to sing along with your playing it is often so that you must at first sing, then they come in,,,, I think when you want to sing you must have a little knowledge of the melody(songbook) and hit that notes on your strings and try to make the same pitch,at least the beginning note and try to stay there,,now you think i can stay in tune and sing.. Go for it..

jayswett

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:23 am

Congratulations on the singing bit. I agree with Tovo that you just need to let your singing be heard. Having said that, you made good on your promised and I think I speak for everyone when I say that we'd love to see more. As always, your guitar playing was great.

MarkM

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:55 am

Good morning (here on the east coast). Hmmmm did I actually try to sing yesterday? Damn...I thought that was just a bad dream................. :lol: :lol:

Dog - Thanks man. Yes I do need some tools of the trade if I plan on doing this while I'm playing. Stand, better headphone, etc....I need something like Row,row,row your boat to get my confidence up. Maybe a little Yellow Submarine. I mean if Ringo can do it.....

Michele - Thanks. Yeah I had a few "worse" ones that never made it out of the camera. I just figured I would post the best of the bad stuff.

Chas - Sorry man. I have no idea what I was thinking. If I'm going to get a crack at the contest I had to start somewhere. :) Good luck. I look forward to watching. Thanks for the support.

Willem - Thanks. I completely agree with you. I was just telling my wife that last night. If I want to do some campfire songs and want people to sing, well I have to at least be able to start it off so they can follow. Hopefully I'll get better. Maybe the voice coach as some pointers.

Jay - Thanks. Yup I have to just raise my voice and get it out. We'll see what happens from there. I did like the playing on the singing version better though. Much closer to the original with just using my thumb.

MarkM

RicksPick

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Mark well done for taking the leap
really impressed cos I know how hard it is to sing
I thought it was good when you relaxed and projected more
I'm trying to find a song that will suit my voice more
The only one's so far is by the Pogues Shane MacGowan
But that's me, you are much better, so get practicing.

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Looks like I'm late to the party... and Mark is singing! Yes! Well done Mark for exiting the closet and welcome to TG UnCloseted! Love this song, it's my warm up song if I have to face an audience. I agree with those who have said capo up and sing higher I'm sure it will help a lot. The secret here is to find the key you feel comfortable in and just open up. Now you have started, you are on your way to singing more often. Great stuff Mark, pizza, kudos, props and all the other stuff is in the post for you for posting your video!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic