FROM THE BEGINNING

buddy

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Niel's lesson on this song really inspired me. I have been playing guitar for about two years and have been on the totally Guitars sight for a few months now and it has really helped me try some different things. Niel, thanks so much for putting up your sight as I know it is helping many to play and enjoy their guitars more.

This song is still a little rough for me and when Neil said in the lesson that it is hard to play through without a mistake that was an understatement, as you will see many on this video. :laugh:

I am still playing with the audio settings so please bear with me on that.

Comments and suggestion are more than welcome as the other suggestions I have gotten on the forum have been very helpful.

Bud

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Wow Buddy, you are steaming ahead here... for just 2 years playing, that is coming along just fine.... good work, I can see you are having a ball!

haoli25

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Good job Bud. You and Neil are right, that's a tough song to get through without a couple of mistakes. (or BONUS notes for me) :) I think if you slowed down your version a little bit, you would have it nailed. Still nicely done. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

sws626

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm

Buddy! This is awsome. If you hadn't said so, there's no way I would have guessed from this performance that you'd only been playing for two years. It's definitely a tough song, but you have it in your grasp.

It's also one of my very favourites from ELP. Listening to you play inspired me to have a look on youtube for video of Greg Lake playing this solo (okay, almost solo: Keith cannot resist a synthesizer interlude that adds less than nothing). But it struck me again while watching that, as difficult as the song is to play, it also benefits greatly from a vocal accompaniment. I hope you'll work on that too and share it with us once you're completely comfortable with the guitar part.

-Stuart

RicksPick

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:59 pm

There's no stopping you,,
Another good video Buddy

RicksPick

MarkM

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Bud,

Another good one. You are on a roll. I thought you did this song justice. It is difficult but you managed it very well. I can tell the parts that you are comfortable with and those that are harder for you. I think someone said maybe to slow it all down a bit to a pace that all the sections flow a little smoother. Then speed it up from there. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

BobR

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Bud,

Other than the speed changing a few times I think you have another winner.

Great post.

Bob

BigBear

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Hey Bud, really great job! You're well on your way to mastering this song! That's one of my favorite ELP tunes.

A couple of suggestions:

1. In measures 1 and 2 don't chop off those single notes so much on the hammer-ons. Let them ring just a little. You're trying to create tension and if you chop them off the intro sounds rushed.

2. Be very careful on your picking. This song uses extensive cross picking. In the opening riff you must play the first three notes straight down and then reverse on the high E and come back up. You can't mix the picking up and down. It is a Greg Lake signature sound.

3. In measure 8 make sure you play the bass F#-D-F#-A. Very important. You don't have to pull down on the F# if don't want to but the notes need to be heard distinctly.

4. In measure 16 and thru out make sure you catch the G on the high E string. It's an Fadd9 chord and not a straight F chord. That G (the add 9)is the lead-in note for the G (in the F shape) that you slide up to next.

5. In measure 24 watch your fingering. Those are distinctly different chords and you kind of muddled them together. They are more a downstroke than a quick up and down. Watch how Neil frets these. It's basically a D shape except you use your middle-ring and pinky, not your index fingers.

Please accept these suggestions in the spirit I intend them, I have spent a lot of time working on this song and I've learned a lot so I speak from experience and not criticism.

Thanks for posting your video and keep up the great work and you'll have this song down pat and part of your repetoire in no time!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Bud can't offer anything in terms of tips that hasn't been covered by my mate Bear. You sure have a few songs up your sleeve...when's your album coming out?! :)

buddy

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Bear,

That is exactly the feedback I am looking for so please don't feel a need to qualify your comments. Thanks very much for taking the time to post up those specifics as I know everyone is busy. Your review was very helpful.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic