Instrumental version of Tears in Heaven

mcfingers

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks everyone for your generous comments.

Bear, I really appreciate your thoughtful and constructive comments. I am always open to good advice. I am working on the baseball grip, after 30 yerars that's going to be a challenge. :S

Dennis, I am using iMovie but I am not familiar with it at all. I am still waiting for the Kodak Zi8 I ordered to become available again. Till then I will try to learn iMovie.

BigBear

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm

mcfingers wrote:
Thanks everyone for your generous comments.

Bear, I really appreciate your thoughtful and constructive comments. I am always open to good advice. I am working on the baseball grip, after 30 yerars that's going to be a challenge. :S

Steve, my friend, I'm right there with you! It's a hard problem to break especially if you've ever played electric. What do they say about us old dogs learning new tricks? :laugh:

dennisg

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Steve,

Find an Apple store and pick up a copy of a book called iLife '09 from the Apple Training Series. It comes with a tutorial disc that'll walk you through all the nuances of iMovie. I've been using the app for my videos, and I'm very pleased with the results. It'll let you trim the front and back of the video so that we don't have to watch you walk to and from the camera, tripping over cables. When you're done editing your video, you just export it to QuickTime, which you then upload to YouTube.

I should add that if you don't have iLife '09, you'd do well to get it. It's much better than '08.

tovo

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Hey Steve. Like the majority I love that song and enjoyed your performance of it. I was inspired to learn it when Al posted it a while ago but I have a sticking point with it I need to get sorted out. Anyway, that's my problem. You don't seem to have too many. As usual there's some great advice from the more experienced players. My only observation is that once you have it absolutely cold you can inject more feeling into it for an absolutely killer rendition. Thanks for the look.

mcfingers

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:24 pm

dennisg wrote:
Steve,

Find an Apple store and pick up a copy of a book called iLife '09 from the Apple Training Series. It comes with a tutorial disc that'll walk you through all the nuances of iMovie. I've been using the app for my videos, and I'm very pleased with the results. It'll let you trim the front and back of the video so that we don't have to watch you walk to and from the camera, tripping over cables. When you're done editing your video, you just export it to QuickTime, which you then upload to YouTube.

I should add that if you don't have iLife '09, you'd do well to get it. It's much better than '08.
Thanks Dennis, I do have iLife 09. In fact I have been using iLife since it first came out back in 04 I think. I pretty much did what you said with iMovie. In my first video post I did edit the beginning and end to chop off the clutter. I still haven't found a way to reverse the video in either iMovie or Photo Booth. This will all be moot when the Kodak comes, but thanks for the good suggestions.
Steve

mcfingers

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:40 pm

izzyhara wrote:
Upside down - backwards - don't think it would really matter. I think you played that really well - I mean REALLY WELL. If you hadn't said in your chat that you flubbed the ending, I wouldn't have noticed anything because I was just so caught up in how pretty your rendition was. A little string buzz but I think we missed most of what is probably bugging you. I don't have any suggestions, except that this will get smoother and smoother the more you play. But it stands on its own right now, in my mind. I think I might add that to my list of songs to learn, as it works so well as an instrumental. Did someone say this rendition is different than the lesson song? I like yours so this might become my teaching video. Excellent post.
Thanks Izzy,

I learned this from listening to the song on Eric Clapton's Unplugged CD and I also bought the Eric Clapton Unplugged song book with TABS. That first grab after the initial hammer on A was the hardest thing to learn. The rest is just some pretty standard chords and some arpeggio finger work. Oh yeah, and a bunch of practice time of course. Dive in I think you'll find the water satisfying once you get going.

I'll be watching for it. Good Luck, Steve

dekotaj

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 am

Steve,Great song.
What a tragic song for Eric.I cant began to imagine what he must have been felling when he wrote that song.What he must feel when he plays it.

Just love his music.
Kevin

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:24 am

Great work Steve, Its all been said so just keep em coming. You also play this slightly differently than I do and you must have a mutated version as i also have the same book and I'm certain its slightly diffrent to your version.

Good on ya mate loved it.

Lavallee

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:13 am

Steve you did a fine job on this video. Your playing is very smooth, As it was said before , a bit more emphasis alternating with a softer touch would give a a bit more feeling. The string buzzing especially if you are not used with the new strings could be only that you are used to a certain position on the fret which migth not be appropriate for the new ones, just a thought.

Marc

mcfingers

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 am

Many thanks Kevin, Chas, and Marc.

Chas, It's interesting that we both have the same book and different interpretations of the song. I'll bet it has something to do with being on opposite sides of the equator. :P

Marc, I gave the song another go last night and I slowed it down slightly and was able to overcome the string buzz. I think I was nervous trying to get through the song and didn't have very good finger placement. I agree that changing the pacing and volume would definitely make this a real tear-jerker. As Kevin said it already has a very tragic origin.
Thanks again,
Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic