Instrumental version of Tears in Heaven

mcfingers

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:04 am

OK, Here is my second video upload. Unfortunately, I am still appearing as being left-handed. My internal video camera in my iMac won't flip videos so you all get to enjoy the left-handed stylings of Mr. Reverse a.k.a. McFingers.
BTW, I just put new strings on my Taylor 414 and I hate them. They were custom light Elixir nanowebs and they are too light and they buzz like crazy. I am off the the music store tomorrow to get some regular lights. I would put mediums on but Taylor recommends the light on this guitar.
OK Enough rambling, on to the song. I have been working on this song for a couple of years off and on. I picked it up by ear and through the use of a Eric Clapton songbook that had tabs. It was the first and only song I have every used tabs to learn. Anyway, here it is, complete with a few mistakes and I completely pooched the ending. I actually improvised the ending because I forgot were I was in the song. Lame excuse but there it is.

Thanks for viewing and please (and I know you will) leave comments or suggestions. I have a very thick skin so please be as honest as you wish.
Cheers,
Steve

michelew

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 am

You played that so sweetly. If that's what it sounds like with buzzes I'd love to hear it when you put slightly heavier strings on.

Truly inspirational Steve. I hope I have the patience to learn that song.

THanks for putting some wow into my afternoon.

Michele

AndyT

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:41 am

Very nice Steve. I can tell you have put some time into it. All that will pay big dividends on other songs.

I heard the buzzes but it sounded more like fret buzz on this end. I'd check and see if I was getting good finger placement on the strings. Maybe your just not used to them yet?

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:04 am

Well done, Steve. I hear what you mean about the strings. They just sound tinny to my ear.
I uploaded a version of this song to TG- but played it with totally different fingerings. Are you using an alternate tuning- or just different chords altogether?

Good version though. It's not an easy song, for sure. BTW- nice save on the ending. Good that you didn't just bail on it.

dennisg

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 am

Great job, Steve -- it really sounds beautiful.

I think your audio recording is chopping off a lot of the higher frequency notes in your playing. I can see that you're hitting them, but a lot of them are muted or obscured entirely by the recording quality. Since you play so well, I'd really like to be able to hear everything you play.

Regarding your flipped video: I seem to recall you saying that you typically record using Photo Booth. Correct me if I'm wrong. Have you tried using iMovie yet?

izzyhara

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:19 am

Upside down - backwards - don't think it would really matter. I think you played that really well - I mean REALLY WELL. If you hadn't said in your chat that you flubbed the ending, I wouldn't have noticed anything because I was just so caught up in how pretty your rendition was. A little string buzz but I think we missed most of what is probably bugging you. I don't have any suggestions, except that this will get smoother and smoother the more you play. But it stands on its own right now, in my mind. I think I might add that to my list of songs to learn, as it works so well as an instrumental. Did someone say this rendition is different than the lesson song? I like yours so this might become my teaching video. Excellent post.

jayswett

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 am

Strings sounded fine to my ear. The performance itself was very nice, and I would love to spend some time with it. Al posted a video of it ages ago, and since then it's been in the back of my mind. Great job with it. And by the way, I liked your ending.

MarkM

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:40 am

Steve,

Great job with the song. I've always wanted to learn that one. I'd say your there. The temp, tone, chords, its all going great for you on this song. I hear what you mean about the strings. That will take care of itself. Wonderful job.

MarkM

BigBear

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Steve- really nice job, sounded great. Since you asked for feedback I'll pitch in my normal 2 cents worth.

1. Watch your left hand position. You are using the dreaded "Baseball bat" grip that Neil is death on. Keep your left thumb behind the neck and not on top of it.

2. It could be the recording but your attack is a bit heavy-handed. Let the guitar and the electronics produce the volume, not you. This will also contribute greatly to string buzzing.

3. I don't think your strings have anything to do with the buzzing problem, at least not directly. I have used those exact strings on both my Taylors with excellent results. Usually, string buzzing is caused by poor setup. Either your guitar's neck has moved a little or more likely the lighter strings sit lower in the nut slots.

In my experience it is critically important to have your guitar setup by a competent repair tech or luthier and it's not a one time job either. I have my guitar setup every year or two or when I have problems like buzzing. The shop must use the exact gauge of strings you intend to use. When I bring my guitar in for setup I always just throw in my own strings just so he will know exactly what I want to use.

As I always say please accept these comments in the positive way I intend them. You did a wonderful job on that song and it's only because we're a guitar learning site that we can be picky on technique and that kind of thing.

Congrats on all your hard work! I've really enjoyed all your videos! Keep 'em coming!

Cheers! :cheer:

BobR

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Steve,

No criticism from my end. I just really like that song a lot and thought you did it really well.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic