Rocket Man - D_Dog

d_dog

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:18 am

I saw someone ask about Rocket Man in the Request a Song Thread and I thought I'd give it a go. I got this from a youtube video I found, I think it works out nice. It's in the same key as the original recording.
Capo at the 3rd Fret.
Chords required are:
Em7
A7
C
G
Am
D
I would love to see an official TG lesson on this and a few other Elton John tunes as a matter of fact.
Anyway, hope you enjoy. I'm going to work on cleaning this one up a bit and maybe repost some day.
Thanks,
Damian

[video type=youtube][/video]

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:55 am

Cool video Damian. You were getting some of those vocals pretty well..... I'd probably capo down or even remove it. I find it much more important to have the song in a singable key than in the original. Incidentally, saw EJ do this live in Zürich about 12 years ago and he kept Rocket Man going for about 16 minutes!

tovo

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:09 am

Dog I thought your voice for that was fantastic. I ws sorry you bailed on it I was enjoying it so much. Not such a fan of EJ but that doesn't matter. Your arrangement was very cool for something you only just picked up. Love your work.

willem

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:17 am

Hey Damain,,that was very cool to do this to somebody that ask for this song,,i find you did great to the song,,,keep them coming..

jayswett

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 am

Helpful video. I like the idea of students becoming teachers, and I would imagine the TG powers that be would agree. I guess the danger would be that information passed along would be incorrect, although in a video such as this, nothing in the way of technique is being passed along, just chords. Any other thoughts? Nice job, D-Dog.

izzyhara

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:11 am

This was really really good D-Dog. So that's what it's all about really. You learn enough to be able to watch someone play, and you can pick up the song from that. Yes, Neil could introduce runs or technique, but if somone just wants to add this song to their repertoire, you have enabled them to do that. Your version is basic enough that we could all take those chords and tune and run with it in different ways. After all, we don't all just want to be clones of Neil necessarily. We want to take the stuff he teaches us, and grow with it. That is precisely what you have done. Like your voice... you could, for your usage, drop the capo down so that you could really stay in your range. And I agree with Jay that we all should become teachers to each other. Loved it a lot !!! Izzy

MarkM

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 am

Damian,

Very, very nice!!! I think you nailed the chords (it would be cool to have either another guitar or yourself playing to backing track an octave higer. not the singing just the guitar so there is two). Ofcourse your singing was really strong on this one as well. Best yet that I've seen on here. Can't wait for more.

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:31 am

Damian, you struck a chord there :S
I struggled with a tabbed version of Rocket Man for a while,
but sometimes tabs are like hyroglyphics and a video such as yours can really kick-start things.

Your voice is really nice for this, actually not much is missing for you to get it all the way in this key.

I saw Elton last fall when he toured with Billy Joel.
The show was in four parts.
- first: the two of them sitting at grand pianos face to face, without other musicians.
- second: Elton's show with his band.
- third: Billy's show with his band.
- fourth: the whole shebang occupying the stage together!

At times they would alternate Elton singing something by Billy,and vice-versa.
Funny thing, it often sounded like Billy was doing an excellent impression of Elton's voice as it was on the original recordings.
Billy Joel's voice has very impressive range still, and he still jumps on his piano and risks decapitating himself throwing his mike stand around. Too bad Elton has to try to be kinda operatic baritone now.

Oh yeah ... Rocket Man ... it still goes on for quite a long time in the live show, with visuals showing kind of a retrospective of Elton's career.
Far freaking out!

Great post d_dog!
Pierre

Music Junkie

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:15 am

D:

I saw a video and found a set of chords a while back and yours is spot on to what I heard. I am like you, don't know if it is 100% correct, but I think you sounded brilliant dude! Liked your singing as well. Neil always points out that he likes it when you make it your own. I also noticed you are getting the correct G fingering down (nice). I think your idea to post it was nice as well. Nothing wrong with expanding the knowledge. If anything is out of bounds, I am sure that Neil or Matt will let us know.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Cheers!

MJ

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:28 am

Helpful video. I like the idea of students becoming teachers, and I would imagine the TG powers that be would agree. I guess the danger would be that information passed along would be incorrect, although in a video such as this, nothing in the way of technique is being passed along, just chords. Any other thoughts? Nice job, D-Dog.
Jayswett

Neil has said he'll jump in when he sees a need to correct something and I like the idea of members showing ideas for songs that haven't been featured. Adds to our knowledge and interest. I'm sure this is cool with TG.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic