How to get tossed out of Guitar Center

dennisg

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks, everyone. Damian and I had a lot of fun jamming together and testing out the various guitars. As you saw, I was asked to shut off the camera, but shortly after that, the manager chatted with me, and all was cool.

Pete: I was playing a Taylor 814. I also played some high-end Gibsons and Martins that day, although I didn't record any of it.

Matt: Thanks for the encouragement. Seattle has a lot of interesting sites and landmarks, so I may expand my range of videotaping.

Tony: Guitar Center gets a lot of grief because they're huge and an easy target, so I completely understand the manager's concern. I'm actually surprised he let me turn the camera back on. Having said that, I'm convinced his larger issue was that I didn't first ask his permission to use a video camera in the store.

Marc: I'm impressed you noticed that I stopped in front of a Tom Petty songbook. I was trying to channel Neil's inner rage, but it didn't work. Instead, I walked away humming "Free-falling."

Bob: It's fun being able to rip any guitar off the wall you want and having at it. A Guitar Center employee stuck his head into the room every so often, presumably to make sure I wasn't starting a bonfire.

Izzy: I had intended to shoot more of Tyler answering my question about acoustic strings, but he was distracted by that phone call from his manager. I can probably get his phone number for you though. No, Damian and I had never met until that day.

Chas: Considering how many electrics you saw in the video, Guitar Center doesn't have that many acoustics -- but that probably reflects the percentage of overall sales. I may do another video, this one at Dusty Strings, which is my favorite store for acoustics. That's where I just bought my new Taylor.

Jay: I had a hard time playing that day for some reason. For starters, I was in an uncomfortable position on that stool, with one leg crossed over the other, and at times I found myself mesmerized by Damian's voice and not paying attention to what I was playing. By the way, any time you want to visit the NW, I'll take good care of you.

Michele: "Here Comes the Sun" is a tough song to learn, but it's great to be able to look at it in your rear-view mirror. I've found that whenever I'm in a store testing out guitars, it often makes people smile. Of course, I'm usually not wearing any pants at the time. That may have something to do with their reaction.

Suzi: That was fun for us. I especially appreciated the fact that Damian registered only mild surprise when I took the song lyrics out of my jacket and handed them to him. He was a great sport for singing a song he wasn't all that familiar with. I sometimes forget that not everyone grew up listening to the Beatles.

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:11 am

Classic!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved it. Very glad to hear that you two were able to get together. I don't know if I would have had the nerve to play in the store like that, but then again, I don't play as well as the two of you. I think the idea of wondering reporters here at TG is fascinating. Will be great to see what comes of it.

Cheers!

MJ

michelew

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Ahhh Dennis...you're a card... No pants eh ...

tovo

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:48 pm

dennisg wrote:

Of course, I'm usually not wearing any pants at the time. That may have something to do with their reaction.
They are grimaces mate, not smiles.

Moondog

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 pm

When I saw the title of this thread "How to get tossed out of Guitar Center" I was sure it had something to do with "Stairway to Heaven"

Mike

ktyevols

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Dennis, thanks for the tour......Looks pretty similar to the Guitar Center here in Charleston, SC. You two looked right at home.....I would like to know what video camera you were using.....I was impressed with the quality of the video....Ken

rubberonion

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Great job. Its amazing how all Guitar Centers look the same. That was fun to watch. Whenever I'm in a Guitar Center and hear a song from a TG lesson, I have to wonder if the person is a member.

NKenny

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the tour and concert guys, it was great. It's fun to go to GC and play a guitar that is way out of my reach and talent capabilities.

Kenny

johnrfeeney

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 pm

i had so much fun watching that - great job!

dekotaj

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:15 am

Hey Guys,

Cant began to tell you two how much I enjoy that.A lot fun to watch.

Not a lot to add to what everyone else has said.So just one question,Dennis what book did you decide to steel?? :laugh: :laugh:

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic