'Just Breathe' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Wow! Two vids from me in one day?? Doesn't count, as I uploaded my contest entry on the weekend.

Here is my work in progress of 'Just Breathe' by Pearl Jam. I'm actually not a huge P.J. fan- but this is a really great song, great lyrics as well (below). My wife actually introduced me to the song and asked me to learn it for her.
We do what we gotta to do. ;)

I am also attaching a live version of it from a Pearl Jam concert so you can see/hear how Eddie plays it. I learned the song from this version and from other people on youtube that think they know how to play it. It gets a bit rough halfway through when I go from Am to Dm and have the walking bass line to a partial G chord. You'll see.

BTW- you'll also see that I did a shorter version of the song.

Comments welcome as usual.

"Just Breathe"
Yes, I understand that every life must end, aw-huh,..
As we sit alone, I know someday we must go, aw-huh,..
Oh I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands
the ones I love,..

Some folks just have one,
yeah, others, they've got none, huh-uh

Stay with me,..
Let's just breathe.

Practiced are my sins,
never gonna let me win, aw-huh,..
Under everything, just another human being, aw-huh,..
Yeh, I don't wanna hurt, there's so much in this world
to make me bleed.

Stay with me,..
You're all I see.

Did I say that I need you?
Did I say that I want you?
Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool you see,..
No one knows this more than me.
As I come clean.

I wonder everyday
as I look upon your face, aw-huh,..
Everything you gave
And nothing you would take, aw huh,..
Nothing you would take
Everything you gave...

Did I say that I need you?
Oh, did I say that I want you?
Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool you see,..
No one knows this more than me.
As I come clean, ah-ah...

Nothing you would take,..
Everything you gave.
Hold me till I die,..
Meet you on the other side.

Lavallee

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Good video Al, you are almost there with the speed , your picking is right on . Very nice song that I did not know. Thanks for posting.

Marc

karl01

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks Al for posting this. Great Job I will be working on this as well. I have been hearing this song on 97.7 during Nikki Sixx's show and have been trying to find out who it is and thanks to you profomance now I know.

Thanks and keep up the good work

Karl

BobR

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Al,

Nice Job. I hadn't heard that song, so I am glad you posted Eddie's version. As Marc said your picking seems right on. A little more speed and you'll have it.

Bob

tovo

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:44 pm

I thought it was very nice, won't be long before you have it down cold. One thing I have noticed with you Al is that you pick up new songs very quickly. I'm sure you put in a lot of practice but it's still impressive from my point of view. Thanks for the look.

d_dog

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Very nice Al, I didn't know that song, great picking pattern, can't really "pick it out" quite yet, but I like it. great post.

MarkM

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:09 am

Al I have to second Tony's thoughts. You do seem to pick up new songs quickly. Very good job with this one. I hadn't heard this before but thankful that you shared both versions. I really like it. Your picking is coming along great. Nice pace and very confident. Nothing to add to that really. I really enjoyed it. The only thing I would say is that the volume was a bit low I thought. Not sure what levels you were recording at. Once again Al you posted a real good one. I need to get back to picking myself if I'm ever to get better at it. I stay too much in my comfort zone. Kudos to you for sticking with it.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:48 am

Nice one Al, coming along nicely, take it your playing through your Micro BR? AS Mark said the volume on the treble falls of a bit other than sounds good, can't recall hearing this one before either.

Good job on picking tunes up so quick, thats a talent to be envied mate

Chas

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 am

Nice one Al! Something was wrong with your mike, though, couldn't hear your singing (now you are out of the closet)! ;-)

willem

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:48 am

Al, i raised up the volume a bit and can say you did the song justice in the picking, i think when you have it realy cold its a good song for you to sing..I fond it nice that you work this one out for your woman, alway's nice to have someone a round with the nose in the same direction,, enjoyed it very much..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic