'Just Breathe' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:53 pm

willem wrote:
Al, i raised up the volume a bit and can say you did the song justice in the picking, i think when you have it realy cold its a good song for you to sing..I fond it nice that you work this one out for your woman, alway's nice to have someone a round with the nose in the same direction,, enjoyed it very much..

Willem, your sayings are great-- 'Someone with the nose in the same direction.'
I'll be sharing that with my wife when we argue. 'Let's get our noses in the same direction on this, dear!' :angry:

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:55 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Nice one Al! Something was wrong with your mike, though, couldn't hear your singing (now you are out of the closet)! ;-)

I did actually work on this with vocals, Chris. Definitely not ready for prime time yet- if ever!!

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Dennnis - thanks. I'm trying to break the old habit I have of moving on to new songs before I really learn the one(s) I'm working on. I need to smooth out the Dm change I talked about earlier. I'm also not totally sure of the chords in there either. I play it differently than Eddie does.

Jay- I thought I was being stalked. Too bad it was you! I assume you mean you watched Eddie's version a dozen times. Don't think mine holds up to that kind of scrutiny :)
I knew you'd be all over this song, though.

Pierre- The picking reminds me of 'Dust in the Wind' a bit- but with definite variations. And it is blazing fast imho. There is tab out there if you google it.

jayswett

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:41 am

I actually meant your version, although Mr. Vedder's isn't bad. I noted both you and Mr. Vedder play this by fingering the G chord and adding the high e note with your pinky fretting the second string at the 5th fret. I find it easier to hit that high e note by simply hitting the open 1st string. I guess it doesn't really matter. Your method looks more interesting, though, as that particular finger pattern was not familiar to me until I saw your video. I was thinking you and Tovo should consider another collaboration on this as his voice and EV's voice seem somewhat similar.

jayswett

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:26 am

I've been working on this song the last couple of days. I've noticed two things about it:

1) The arrangement of the song is strange in that each verse has a decreasing number of bars within it. It took me a while to figure that out. At least I think that's what is going on.

2) The fingerpicking pattern is identical (or very nearly so) to Guaranteed, so if you have an interest in learning that song, you are more than half way there once you have finished with Just Breathe.

izzyhara

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:51 am

Must be a chick song.... I love it !! You have gotten down a replica of PJ's version. I think you should sing it. Do I have to watch your video to teach it to myself? Or have you created chords/tabs yet? Very nice....

Edit: Never mind. I found the Guitar Pro version. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Right now I am trying to find new songs, and this one looks like fun to pick.

izzyhara

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi - Me again. This song has gotten stuck in my head so I have been playing around with it this afternoon. Thanks to your wife (does she have a name?) for asking you to learn it. And thanks to you for sharing it. That is a pretty quick picking pattern, and as simple as it sounds, it has a little complexity to it. But it is fun.... Thank goodness you can slow down the tempo on Guitar Pro while learning it... holy cow !!!
Also, I think it is wise when any of us are doing a repetitive song but we aren't going to sing with it, create a shortened version like you did. We all still get the point and can always choose to play it over and over, which I have done. Izzy

jayswett

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:20 pm

This song is addicting, is it not?

AcousticAl

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:31 pm

izzyhara wrote:
Hi - Me again. This song has gotten stuck in my head so I have been playing around with it this afternoon. Thanks to your wife (does she have a name?) for asking you to learn it. And thanks to you for sharing it. That is a pretty quick picking pattern, and as simple as it sounds, it has a little complexity to it. But it is fun.... Thank goodness you can slow down the tempo on Guitar Pro while learning it... holy cow !!!
Also, I think it is wise when any of us are doing a repetitive song but we aren't going to sing with it, create a shortened version like you did. We all still get the point and can always choose to play it over and over, which I have done. Izzy

Hi Izzy,

You're right- this song does stay with you. And it is deceiving as well. When I first watched Eddie's version, I thought I'd just pick it up no problem. Not so much. At first I thought it had a similar pattern to 'Dust in the Wind'- but it doesn't. And the way he picks it is REALLY fast. Something to strive for anyways.

If I know Jay, he's probably close to posting his own version of this song soon, so you'll have another student video to compare mine too.
:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic