Old Man - MarkM

nemastetaylor

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 am

Hi, thanks for posting. I have been working on OLD Man but just have been lazy about posting. I love that song and I think you did a great job with it. I agree that the pick version is clearer to hear. And I love your Taylor Guitar.

Nemaste-Taylor

d_dog

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 am

Wow Mark, that guitar really does sound great! I agree with most that the pick is great, and also the point that Dennis made about the softer picking, or better yet, a little of both. As bear mentioned Neil has a very percussive approach and he also uses a soft touch at time, the combination and variation within a single song really adds a dimension, and the light touch lends itself to the space for the vocal to fit in, (hoping you'll do a vocal version)
Also, you'll probably have a hard time getting both loud and soft dynamics to really come through very well using the mic on the camera, does that one have a external mic jack? If so, definitely get yourself a decent mic, it'll make all the difference.

Really great stuff man!

jayswett

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:26 am

I thought both versions sounded great. A little work to do on this song, but not much. I tried this song months ago when it first came out as a Target song, but quickly abandoned it as I just couldn't make it sound right. You are well on your way.

AndyT

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 am

I like the finger version better because your strumming is more focused.

With the pick, you are picking adjacent strings and some parts are rather muddy no matter how clearly the guitar itself is ringing out.

The finger version is much more controlled and it flows better.

AcousticAl

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:24 am

Really good job-- I prefer the pick.. but to echo others.. would like it better if there was more palm muting. I've tried my hand at it in a few uploads and it's not easy. But it does add so much to the song.

Looking forward to an update!

Lavallee

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 am

Good experiment Mark, I also prefer the version with a pick as I feel that is the way to play an only strumming song especially when sporadic picking is required. You strumming is good and when you will add the palm muting, it will be rigth on. I also agree with Bear on the D of the intro needs a bit of work as the open string and hammer on do not seem synchronize with the melody.

Marc

mark

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 am

Nicely played.

I agree with what some of the others have said. This song really needs the palm muting for it to sound authentic.
It's not an easy technique todo, but worth the effort

MarkM

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:07 am

Bob - thanks! Much appreciated.

Pierre - Thanks. I was trying to play along with the Live at Massey Hall version. I'll go back and check Neils lesson again to try and get some of the missed parts corrected.

Nemaste - Thank you. Yeah I really like the guitar as well. Still getting used to it.

Damian - thanks. Yes it has a mike port on the camera. I'll have to go check some out at the store this weekend and see what I can come up with. Maybe that way I won't have to "think" about playing louder.

Jay - Thanks to you as well. I've been playing around with this song for a long time now and never quite get it right. The feedback on this string has helped a great deal. It will make me focus on a few things that will hopefully get it right.

Andy - Yes the finger version does lend itself to be a bit more focused. I have to learn to control the pick/hand better to get this one to sound more appropriate.

Al - Oh there will be an update. Oh yes....... I totally agree. I wasn't focused on the palm muting on this particular take and it really didn't turn out that well after further review. I have the same issue with emails. Sometimes I just let it fly without pausing a moment to really make sure it goes out..........At least I didn't flame anyone with the song......... :laugh:

Marc - Thanks. That damn D in the intro has always perplexed me. I'll spend some time tomorrow and get it down before I repost.

mark - Thank you. Yeah. It's either too much muting or not enough. Got to work on the feel.

Well I had about 7 hours of windshield time today and had the Live at Massey Hall album with me. Must have gone through it about 3 times. Great album. Anyway when I got home I practiced with various different degrees of palm muting to see if I can get it down. I think I have the feel/hammerons and strums down ok though. I'll work on it some more and get that intro right and resubmit when I'm more comfortable with the results. Thanks for all the feedback as it really helped me to refocus on what I need to do on this particular song to get it down right.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:11 am

HI Mark solid effort, but if you want to be true to the original then its using the pick with more percusive palm mute on downstrokes and only partial strums both ups and downs, in fact NY taps percussively on the body of the guitar, where NY sings at a pitch I can only dream of its nearly all treble strings no bass. My .02cents worth. Certainly coming along nicely though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic