Jerusalem by Mark - Updated

mark

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 am

This is my version of an old English hymn called Jerusalem.

This gets played at a lot of sporting events that England play in and is almost like an unofficial National anthem.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer did a very different version to this.

I've posted this because it gives me so many problems. I've been playing this since about august and must have played it a million times. I just can't get it clean.
I've put a lot of work into improving my left hand position on this song and it is a lot better than it used to be.
Any suggestions on how to get it cleaner would be appreciated.

[video type=youtube][/video]

I added an update below of this song.
I tried to make the changes that Neil suggested.
I've paid much more attention to the timing of the song and I now think this is solid (hopefully).
Although Neil didn't address the left hand rattles, buzzes etc this seems to have got better as well.
I haven't managed to get much more movement in the right hand but I'm working on it.

izzyhara

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:14 am

That was exceptionally beautiful. I think you are playing it very clean - it might feel a bit jerky to you as the artist, but on the video, it looked very smooth. I watched your left hand really closely and your finger placements seem to be exactly what they need to be in order to transition to the next part. That is what I struggle with so it was something that I watched on your video. I think I would like to learn this, so if you have the tab, PM me. It almost looks to me like your hands are too large for that guitar. I thought that was near flawless and during the next million times you play it, it will just get better. If there is a part that feels less smooth to you, just play that transition over and over. Beautiful tho.... really beautiful. I think you've got it. Izzy

Lavallee

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Mark, very nice arrangement, looks intricated. Having difficulty myself playing clean notes, I am not sure I can help a lot. However I have noticed in some Neil's video that he says to release the chord completely and hit an empty string to carry to the next chord. I noticed that you seem to do that in some chords. Your challenge seems to be on the short bar at the fifth fret where the sound is sometimes muted when you switch to the open chord, I wonder if you could not hit a base note relative to the chord where you are going to have a continuity.

Beautiful song, I can understand playing a long time on it before having it right, your playing of it is almost perfect, lots of feeling. I have some songs myself, that I can play fairly well, but I am always looking for the perfect way of playing it and I am fighting on little details. But the details are what makes the difference between playing a song and having it right.

Marc

dekotaj

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:32 am

Mark,

Great job.Not heard that song before.But if that's playing unclean(sorry I know this don't help you)I wish I could play that unclean.Sounded very nice to me.

Kevin

neverfoundthetime

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:44 am

Mark, that is such a damn fine rendition of that classic hymn and you are one of the most advanced finger style players here, I think only Neil can satisfy your question. Beautifully played. The work shines through.

jayswett

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:18 am

That was incredible. I can't think of anything to critique with that peformance. I realize you are asking for critical comments, but I just can't think of anything to say. It seems to me just a matter of putting yet more time into it. You obviously have the piece down cold. The few minor transition problems will sort themselves with mere repetition, I would think. Very nice piece of music.

BobR

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 pm

Mark,

It's hard for me to comment since I have not heard this before to make any comparision. However, by just listening it sounds like your 1 Million tries have payed off. I thought you did it a real nice job.

Bob

TGMatt

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Bravo mate

And so u have a treat coming mate ...

; )

BigBear

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Mark, again brilliant! I agree with Chris, you are such an advanced player that very few of us could offer you any advice. I certainly can't and won't. You need Yoda, I mean Neil, to weigh in on this one.

Beautiful, classic English piece. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Cheers! :cheer:

michelew

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Mark - it really sounded beautiful. I sooo love your playing. The only suggestion I have is to maybe try playing it on a guitar with a wider fretboard. A classical guitar might be the answer to what you're experiencing as the wider string spacings could help here. I would love to learn it too.

Beautiful!

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic