Jerusalem by Mark - Updated

dennisg

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Simply gorgeous, Mark. My only suggestion is to make the piece much longer next time so I wouldn't have to replay it so much.

tom18

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Mark,
You did a really nice job with that difficult piece. All you need now is to have Carl Palmer thundering in the background!
Tom

tovo

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:43 pm

As I write Dennis is on 666 posts...freaky.

Anyway Mark, that's simply beautiful. Thanks for posting it and congratulations on the work you have put into it to play it so well. Cheers mate.

cosmicmechanic

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks for the inspiration, Mark ... I got nuttin' else to say.

Pierre

d_dog

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:51 pm

Wow Mark that was like a movement. I agree with Kevin, I wish I could play that unclean. I think it was fantastic. Perhaps from your point of view (over self critical) as a lot of us are, it may sound unclean, but really, a lot has to be said for the passion and feeling that you put into playing the song and not just the technical prowess, and by that regard I felt it was fantastic. If you really think you can't play it as clean as you'd like, do you consider that your guitar is set up properly for fingerstyle playing? Perhaps some set up tweaking may be in order, I don't know specifically what those considerations might be, but that is really nit picky in my opinion. Next time you're in a guitar shop, play that song on a classical guitar and see what it's like.
Really fantastic. :) :) :) :)

mark

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks everybody for your comments and encouragement.

As a couple of people have suggested, I would love Neil to comment on this, as I'm sure he would have some great suggestions.

Trying it on a classical guitar is a good suggestion. I've been considering getting a classical but I had told my girlfriend that my guitar buying addiction was on hold for the moment (I've got 5 so it's not that bad).
I've tried just casually adding a guitar to the collection and not saying anything but she can sniff out a new guitar in seconds.

Here is Jerusalem in more normal circumstances. It's like an un-official national Anthem here in England. It gets played before big sporting events and is used to get the crowd going.
Generally we aren't very good at sport, but when we win, we go completly overboard.
For the americans amongst us, this is cricket :laugh:

mark

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 am

izzyhara wrote:
I think I would like to learn this, so if you have the tab, PM me.
Send me a pm with your email address and I can send you either a guitar pro file or a pdf

mark

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:24 am

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Mark, very nice arrangement, looks intricated. Having difficulty myself playing clean notes, I am not sure I can help a lot. However I have noticed in some Neil's video that he says to release the chord completely and hit an empty string to carry to the next chord. I noticed that you seem to do that in some chords. Your challenge seems to be on the short bar at the fifth fret where the sound is sometimes muted when you switch to the open chord, I wonder if you could not hit a base note relative to the chord where you are going to have a continuity.

Marc
Hi Marc
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out.
You're right the hardest part is getting back in time for the open chord.

mark

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 am

d_dog wrote:
Wow Mark that was like a movement. I agree with Kevin, I wish I could play that unclean. I think it was fantastic. Perhaps from your point of view (over self critical) as a lot of us are, it may sound unclean, but really, a lot has to be said for the passion and feeling that you put into playing the song and not just the technical prowess, and by that regard I felt it was fantastic. If you really think you can't play it as clean as you'd like, do you consider that your guitar is set up properly for fingerstyle playing? Perhaps some set up tweaking may be in order, I don't know specifically what those considerations might be, but that is really nit picky in my opinion. Next time you're in a guitar shop, play that song on a classical guitar and see what it's like.
Really fantastic. :) :) :) :)
I think you're right, we can all be over critical of ourselves.
I think with a song like this it really needs to be clean and all the notes ring out correctly. If it was a blues or a different type of song then I don't think it matters so much. I slightly sloppy approach to a blues song goes with the territory.

I can easily count over 10 mistakes in this video. Not wrong notes but a bit of rattle or buzzing. Personally I think it is a slight mis-coordination of the hands. I think I don't quite have the chord properly formed when I play the note, leading to a buzz.

mark

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:34 am

b]TGMatt wrote:[/b]
Bravo mate

And so u have a treat coming mate ...

; )

A bit cyptic!!

Not sure what that means, but I'll wait and see.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic