Updated singing You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - MarkM

MarkM

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:38 pm

Hello everyone. Well I spent about 7 hours in the car yesterday and had quite a bit if "practice" singing to myself. I was thinking about this song again and wanted to give it another go today. After thinking about the song a bit and how John always seemed a bit angry in his singing, I thought about an episode in my past (20 years ago. Where does the time go) that I tried to channel into this song. It's far from perfect both on the singing and playing but I hope it is an improvement over the one I did a few weeks ago. Thanks for watching and I look forwad to your comments and suggestions.

MarkM

dennisg

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:26 pm

Two things, Mark: your singing just keeps getting better and that guitar just sounds magnificent. Congratulations. I sang some harmonies with you and we sounded pretty good together.

MarkM

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks Dennis. Feel free to throw it up there and make it sound better. :) :)

MarkM

tovo

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Mark that's so much better than the first effort you had at singing so you have certainly achieved the aim of improving on that. I felt it started out really, really strong. A couple of flat spots further in I thought, but nothing cringe-worthy for sure. Your playing, as usual, is great. Please keep at the singing, your improvement in such a short space of time is enormous.

coomba

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:12 pm

G day MarkM
Mate I'm not really qualified to give advise but I have watched your previous goes at this song.
Your progress is impressive, Your voice has improved so much you should be very pleased especially since its only been a couple of weeks.
Well done
Cheers
Scott

BobR

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi Mark,

Nice improvement( on the singing that is). Your playing is always good. You should get angry more often :laugh: :laugh:

bob

MarkM

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks all. I'm still learning what I can and can't do and I have entirely too many "can'ts" and not enough "cans" at this point. All of your comments and words of encouragement are very much appreciated. It goes a long way in getting me to try it again.

MarkM

d_dog

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Fantastic Mark! Love the new attitude! Get mad! hahaha :laugh:
Really though, the confidence is showing and it's great. I'm not suggesting you hit any wrong notes per se, or about your singing ability in this case, but I gotta say, hitting a wrong note with confidence is so much better than hitting a wrong note with no confidence.
I hit wrong notes with confidence all the time and I love it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

izzyhara

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm

There is definitely more volume and "ooomph" to your voice. It did get a little off pitch in places but I think that might have been the "fake anger". LOL. You have improved your singing so much over the last few days, which is very impressive. In this recording, the guitar didn't overpower your voice as in previous incarnations. However, it is harder to keep the tune when you raise your voice beyond a comfort volume. Cool that you are thinking of ways to get emotion into the song by pulling on memories. I think you could tone down both the voice and guitar and have it near perfect. My humble opinion only of course.... It has been so nice to see so much of you lately. Thanks.... Izzy

cosmicmechanic

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Mark, good progress!

I understand what you mean when you say John has an attitude in this song.

I would qualify the use of the word "anger" to describe it, though.
Could it be described as a touch of sneer, or sulkiness, even a bit of a growl?

A word can change a lot, sometimes.

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic