Jerusalem by Mark

TGNeil

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:50 pm

This is my version of an old English hymn called Jerusalem.

This gets played at a lot of sporting events that England play in and is almost like an unofficial National anthem.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer did a very different version to this.

I've posted this because it gives me so many problems. I've been playing this since about august and must have played it a million times. I just can't get it clean.
I've put a lot of work into improving my left hand position on this song and it is a lot better than it used to be.
Any suggestions on how to get it cleaner would be appreciated.

[video type=youtube][/video]

willem

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Wow Mark, great choice,, i must have missed your orginail post,,i would to see you play in futher,,i think you gonna be great,,hope Neil does a lesson on this song.

michelew

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Great response as always. I always learn something from these responses. Note to self ... must relax right hand...relax....

tovo

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:44 pm

I think it's just fantastic that Neil has taken the time to give some constructive advice to a great player like Mark, and as Michele said help us all with another great tip. These video responses are my absolute favourite thing about the site, no question.

goldleaf

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:33 pm

I agree with you Tovo, I really love to hear how a song is really supposed to be played or at least Neils suggestions on how to play it in a different way. Pointing out things I wouldn't have even noticed. I know Neil is as busy as a Beaver but it really is one of my favorite things to see on TG. Thanks Neil for taking the time to do them. Gary

unclewalt

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Mark, I'm curious where you came by this arrangement.

mark

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks very much for the reply.
Really useful. I hadn't realised that I had let the timing go wrong.
Now that you have pointed it out I can see exactly what you mean.

I also notice that in the parts where I have tried to add a litle vibrato this causes the timing to go wrong as well.

I think these video responses are one of the best things about totally guitars.

mark

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 am

unclewalt wrote:
Mark, I'm curious where you came by this arrangement.
It's my own arrangement.

I looked on youtube hoping that there would be some fingerstyle arrangements on there, but there were none.
Luckily I found a midi file on the internet. I imported this into Guitar pro and it gave me the melody line. I also found the chords on the internet.

It's in the key of D which didn't seem to work very well, so I did it in C.

I think if I was to do it again I would try and do it in Dropped D tuning or maybe Open D

unclewalt

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Interesting approach! And impressive. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic