DRIVE TAKE 2 - work in progress

buddy

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:39 pm

First off, thanks to my Totally Guitar mates that gave me such constructive feedback on take 1 of this effort. I took your advice to heart and here is take 2. This song is really challenging to keep up the rhythm while trying to sing. I think I found a better balance between the vocals and the guitar as was suggested in the earlier post.

Any comments would be appreciated as I try to work this one out. You guys and ladies are great !

Thanks,

Bud

AcousticAl

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Bud,

Much better balance between your vocals and guitar on this one. Much more pleasing sound.

I haven't worked on this song yet, but the chords don't seem easy to get to. I think you need to work on getting to the chords/changes quicker and cleaner. You might want to do that by actually not singing. It would be one less thing to worry about, so you can concentrate on the strumming and chords-- then add it back in once you have them nailed.

tovo

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi Bud. I watched the video before I read Al's comments but I agree entirely. Much better balance in terms of volume between guitar and vocal, I think it would probably be spot on if the guitar was amplified, but I just don't think you're ready to sing it yet. I don't mean you aren't capable, as I've said before I think your voice is great, very strong and suited to this song, but you just don't have the tune down well enough yet. Perhaps focus on guitar and hum along initially and then bring in the vocal once you have it down. I say again though, stick with it because it will be great once you have mastered it.

buddy

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 am

Al and Tony,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I will try the humming technique. The funny things is when I just play the guitar it is pretty smooth, it is very tough however with the vocals due to the way they progress between the chord changes.

thanks again,

Bud

MarkM

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:34 am

Bud,

coming along nicely. I agree with Al and Tony. Your voice is very impressive and I don't think you are going to have a problem there at all. I would slow the song down a bit and not sing until you feel more comfortable with those chord changes. I haven't tried this song but the chord changes along with the strum pattern look pretty intricate. Once you have that part down you'll be able to add those very good vocals and this will really sound wonderful. I'm looking foward to your next update. Keep it going. You're doing great.

MarkM

buddy

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:33 am

Mark,
thanks for the encouragement !

stratman3

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:25 am

Bud,

Much better, more balanced then the first take, nice improvement.
Thanks for sharing. One of these days I will get a camera and start posting.

Gary B)

izzyhara

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:41 am

Hey Buddy. I so love your voice.... yes the guitar needs a little more practice but you just learned this and are definitely on the road. I am not certain you need to back up and hum it but maybe practice the guitar alone to get the chord changes smoother and the strumming spot on. I notice just a little bit of strain in your voice on the high parts so you could drop it a half step, or get that falsetto going. How much fun is this????

jayswett

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:01 pm

You have alot of courage for taking on this song. I noted in the Incubus video that the guitarist doesn't sing at all, which I'm sure makes it a heck of alot easier to maintain tempo and hit the chords cleanly. Take 2 was better than take 1. It will be fun to watch your progress. As you may or may not know, I'm a big fan of the concept of updating one's videos.

BobR

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Bud,

Definite improvement from take1. As a few have said, get the chords down and then do the singing. I have no doubt you'll nail this real quick.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic