Michele jumping out of the TG singing closet - ready or not - Bring on the Wonder

michelew

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:43 pm

WOW!! I really am floored by what a sweet, supportive bunch of people you are.

Jim, Matt, Pierre and Tammy thank you. Yeh... I guess we are our own worse enemies. But, I wouldn't have even attempted this if it wasn't for the fact that I knew I was going to get at a minimum well considered constructive criticism and support regardless of what I put out there.

Thanks again.

Michele

AcousticAl

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 pm

You're way too hard on yourself, Michele.. that was great!!

Enjoyed both the playing and the singing.

Please don't be shy with future singing posts.

tovo

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Michele my belle I am floored. THIS is what I want to see on the site! What a great performance, I could imagine sitting in a pub in Ireland or Scotland on a cloudy winter's day and listening to you play and sing; and I would grab another pint and wait for another song. Seriously, it was better than OK. MUCH better. Your playing is so...precise and elegant and as others have said this song suits your voice so very well. Kudos must go to Buddy for inspiring you because it was divine.

d_dog

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:09 am

Very very excellent Michele! Great playing and great singing. You have really good hand positioning. I like the classical position, it seems to work really well for you. You have a great voice, I'm looking forward to hearing more. I agree with Tovo, if I were in a pub in Ireland and you were playing, I'd order another pint for sure!

MarkM

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:28 am

Michele,

Well dear you should have "come out of the closet" much earlier. That was wonderful. Your playing is great. I really like your left hand position. If I could just get part of the way there I'd be happy. The notes were all solid and came across very clear. Your singing was very very good. I'm certainly no expert there :laugh: :laugh: but It sounded great to me. You actually got stronger as the song progressed. I can't wait to hear what you come up with next. Thanks for sharing it with us.

The shaking goes away eventually.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

michelew

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:04 am

THanks guys!

Al - I'll try to be more courage in future. I'm sure confidence is part of the answer too.

Tony - you're a really sweet guy - I think you're exaggerating - but, I love it all the same. I think it would be fun to do in an Irish pub, because people would be fairly likely to sing along and that would make it easier all by itself. You're one of the people who's singing has inspired me. You had me at Hallelujah, but you just get better with each song. I would definitely be cheering if you were playing in a pub - perhaps from the pool tables.

Dog - another lovely singer - you set a great example for us aspirers. I find the classical position easier and now a less acute neck angle feels strange.

MarkM - your recent singing outing and improvements also helped to encourage me to come out too. Glad to hear about the shaking.

Sorry that I haven't replied to each of you before this. I've been painting and doing moving-in chores, so my replies came between trips to the hardware store, coats of paint and such. But they were no less heart felt.

THanks.

Michele

Craig

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:55 am

Great job Michele! You did a fantastic job on that song. You are much too hard on yourself...the singing and playing were both great. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing and thanks for sticking your neck out there. These posts are an inspiration for all!
Craig

willem

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:00 am

Michelle,you touched me deeply,what a present,,i agree with all the words above,(special Marc's saying about your range),i take you video as a samply for this nice song,can you tell something about you experience in to get it down(playing and singin), was it dfficult,you did this in a very short time..Well,when i was in that pub i would buy you drink and ask you,''one more time please'' thanks and looking realy forward to your next performance,this was great..

michelew

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:06 am

THanks Craig and Willem.

Willem - the playing is fairly straight forward. I based it mostly on the chords that Buddy posted in his thread. I did a slightly different intro and outro, which is closer to the recording. I also used a different bridge that is simpler than the recording. THe hardest part for me was the singing, which should be a breeze for you. As you will have noted, I sang it much faster than the recording. My voice isn't strong enough and I'm not breathing properly to play it that slowly.

It's in 3/4 time - I simplly used a bass note and then 2 brushes up with my finger nails.

Intro

(E bass note- brush Em; F# bass note -brush Em, A bass note -brush A chord - G bass note, passing B, then repeat) - slightly different strum pattern to the rest of the song.

Verse 1

Am Am Em Em
I can't see the stars any more living here

Am Am C G
Let's go to the hills where the outlines are clear

Chorus 1

C G D Em
Bring on the wonder bring on the song

C G D Em Em Em Em Em
I pushed you down deep in my soul for too long

Verse 2

Am Am Em Em
I fell through the cracks at the end of our street

Am Am C G
Let's go to the beach get the sand through out feet

Chorus 2

C G D Em

C G D Em (then passing D bass note)

C G D Em
Bring on the wonder we got it all wrong

C G D Em Em Em Em Em
We pushed you down deep in our souls for too long

Bridge

Just a 'House of the RIsing Sun' type picking on the same C, G, D, Em Em, Em, Em, Em chords as the chorus)

Verse 3

Am Am Em Em
I don't have the time for a drink from the cup

Am Am C G
Let's rest for a while 'til our souls catch us up

Chorus 3

C G D Em

C G D Em (passing D)

C G D Em
Bring on the wonder we got it all wrong

C G D Em (passing D)
We pushed you down deep in our souls so hang on

C G D Em

C G D Em Em Em Em Em

Outro (1 repeat of intro - not both)

Enjoy. You'll be playing this in no time.

Michele

jayswett

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:33 am

Frankly, that was just unbelievable. I watched that three times and will do so again when I am done writing this. Several things I loved about this.

1) somehow you captured this song perfectly with your voice, pitch, or whatever the appropriate term is. I was taken in instantly when you began singing.
2) Neil has mentioned many times of the importance of placing your left hand fingers on teh frets in the order that they are needed, and not rushing from one chord to another. That is precisely what you did during that piece.
3) I liked how you mixed up the fingerpicking pattern throughout song.
4) Your hand position, as always, was great

This was truly a wonderful performance. I need to go back and watch Buddy's video, too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic