Here we go ready or not Brown eyed girl

AndyT

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:29 pm

A problem I had was I strummed way too hard and actually overplayed my guitar. Loosen the pick up a lot in your fingers and your volume will go down, but you will also get a cleaner, fuller sound from your guitar.
Nice job.

jayswett

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:47 pm

See Neil's resonse to D-Dog's version of Rocket Man to see what I mean about walking down the base. The proper term, as I just learned, is the descending base line. This is used in many, many songs, and is a great way to jazz up a relatively easy song.

jayswett

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm

suziko wrote:
When I first learned to play this song (it was also one of my first songs) I tried to do the intro, but without a cutaway guitar it was hard to get at those high frets.
I'll trade my Alvarez cutaway for your Taylor.

coomba

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:00 pm

G'day Brad
Well done mate, Only 14 months playing and you sing as well.
No advice from me, Just encouragement.
Cheers
Scott

Lavallee

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:59 pm

great video, I would trade with your voice any time. I agree with what was said about relaxing your pick, but would aslo add the whole arm. It feels sometimes the pick is at 90 degrees to the string giving a louder guitar sound than it should. The top of the pick (in your hand) should be a way bit ahead of the pointy tip hitting the strings, whether you are going up or down. This means that your wrist must be relaxed and somewhat detached from your arm, a good analogy would be a whip (not too much whip to be in swing time all the time).

Looking forward to your next post

Marc

takhak

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 pm

well done.much better than anything i could play after 14 months.
singing and playing .good job

d_dog

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Congrats on your first video post! Great job. I think you're solid for 14 months in. Your hand position and chord shapes seem to be in line and transitions are nice. You're right hand strumming movement is good, for the most part you kept it moving, Andy, Jay and others have made excellent comments regarding this as well. Probably a little too fast and straight, straight meaning no flavor or dynamic rhythm. Little rests (skipped strums) would liven' it up a bit. I agree with Andy too that your picking to hard, you've got a death grip on that pick, relax man :) There is a fine line between gripping enough so that it doesn't fall out of your fingers and spin all around and too much so that you snap every string on the way by, this also has to do with the pick angle, Neil always stresses, angle up on the way down and down on the way up, brush across the strings at alternating angles. When you loosen your grip and your wrist this will probably happen naturally.
Really great man, looking forward to an update in the future.
Welcome aboard!

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Classic 'sorry' at the end. NOTHING to apologize for, Brad. Great first video post!

I think everyone before me has most things covered off. I'd just watch your strum of the D-chord and try to just play the bottom 4 strings on it.

Looking forward to an update on it..

rapsidy

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Truly this is an awesome sight :woohoo:

Your feedback and encouragement is invaluable, thanks so much

lol when you watch the vid you can see that I am playing too fast, and loud and getting that pick hand right takes some finese. Without feedback you just dont know if you going in the right direction so this forum is invaluable.

I think my pick is a hard one can anyone suggest what size/grade i should use as i havent a clue. My current one is quite stiff :dry:

I will put all your suggestions and tips into practise, right away

thanks again,

Brad

mcfingers

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Well done Brad. That's ticket, just wade right in and you can see by the volume of responses that none of us are frightened off by "Poor guitar playing and singing" I'd wager that most of us thrive on it. :laugh: Well, I'll speak for myself anyway. The others have offered good advice on the playing and singer so the only advice I would add is on the pick question. My advice is to buy a few at different thicknesses and see which you prefer. Personally, I prefer a softer pick. I use picks in the range of .46-.73mm. If I were doing some real hard shreding rock and roll licks maybe I would want something stiffer. But, I like the sound of the strum the softer give. But agian, it's all personal taste.
Good luck and keep posting,
Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic