Here we go ready or not Brown eyed girl

MarkM

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Brad,

14 months?? Great job!! You have gotten a bunch of great advice. I think this was the first song I ever learned and let me tell you you did a much better job of it than I did at 14 months. You'll get the hang of holding the pick a little lighter as you get used to it more. I agree that you may want to try a lighter one for a while. On a song like this I'll use a .73mm one. What Jay and the others said on the decending bass line will really help spice things up a bit. Also, I tend to play around with the D chord a bit. While strumming it try and put down your pinky for a few strums then off then take the ring finger off and put it back on. I don't remember if Neil had that in the lesson but that will change things up a bit as well. Oh I have to say that your G chord fingering is great. Took me 20 years to get that one figured out. Your voice was really really good!! I wish I could sing like that. That was a great first video here. Be proud of yourself!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

beaker

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Brad, Nice job for 14 months, you are on the right track don't worry, just keep on playing more and more songs. I have a couple of comments though, you may have heard one or 2 of them before.

Loosen up your grip on the right hand ( Neil said once that when you are strumming it is almost as if the pick will fall out of your hand). Allow your R wrist to be flexible.
Try playing quieter and try to develop more of a sensitive touch to your strumming. Not all chords should be strummed on all strings.
I notice that you are not a target member, that is too bad because you need to look at the Chord section in the Acoustic Genius Series.
It is great that you are forming your G chord with your 2, 3 & 4th fingers, that will pay off.

Keep on playing have fun, Beaker.

rapsidy

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Yeh I am struggling with the lose grip technique, most things i have done like sports requires a strong grip so its taking some time to learn. My wife will appreciate the playing quieter technique too lol, but i get what you mean.

thanks for the help much appreciated.

I thought that target with the arrow in it meant you were a member, and I dont think I could post in here if I wasnt, but I believe I am otherwise I am getting access to all the areas sssshhhh dont tell neil :)

Chasplaya

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:15 pm

rapsidy wrote:
Yeh I am struggling with the lose grip technique, most things i have done like sports requires a strong grip so its taking some time to learn. My wife will appreciate the playing quieter technique too lol, but i get what you mean.

thanks for the help much appreciated.

I thought that target with the arrow in it meant you were a member, and I dont think I could post in here if I wasnt, but I believe I am otherwise I am getting access to all the areas sssshhhh dont tell neil :)
Correct you are a member , but not a Founding Member, no difference to site access. Founding member doesn't mean much at present, but generally means weve spent more time here than others which is a good thing ... right?

rapsidy

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 pm

I believe the answer would be yes... :) as i dont think you could use this site and not progress.

Brad

tovo

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Hey Brad. All the advice has been given mate. I've had a few days off and there's a lot to catch up on. Good job, certainly I agree with Jay and a couple of others who suggested slowing it down, the timing was a little off in places but you know that already and you did well to add the vocals. I saw you had a few technical difficulties but I hope you now really see the value of the site in terms of the feedback and encouragement from members. keep up the good work mate.

rapsidy

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks TOVO

Yeh tech bits are getting under control, i have always seen the value of the site the frustration came from not being able to use IT :)

I have just changed browser from internet explorer to firefox and so far so good, lets pray it stays that way.

thanks for advice site is definately got something going for it

Brad

izzyhara

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:45 pm

jayswett wrote:
Several comments:
1) Very nice performance. For only 14 months of playing, that was very solid, with (mostly) crisp chord changes. I, too, learned this as one of my very first lessons.

2) You and I have the same problem of playing at a tempo which is just a bit too fast. If you slow that down a bit, it will be even more enjoyable, and easier to play.

3) A couple of simple things you can do to spice the piece up a bit are a) walk down the base when making your transition from G to Em. That would involve hitting the base note G followed by the base note F# followed by the base note E as you reach your Em chord b) when playing the D chord in the verse, lift your second finger briefly off the high E string to add some melody to the strumming.

4) Keep your strumming hand a bit more relaxed to allow for a mellower strumming sound.

5) It looks to me like you are far enough along in your development to learn the intro/lead part. Not too difficult, and fun to play.

Great job on this. Looking forward to seeing more.
This is so cute !!! Jay sounds just like Neil !!! Slow it down, release the grip a little on the pick, on and on. And I also agree with Suzi - the first one is the hardest, and we are all very proud of you "coming out" so quickly. Nice to see you and hear you play. The other fun thing about putting up a video so early in your time here is that you will get to refer back to it in a very short time and see how much you have improved. Welcome to the club..... Izzy

jayswett

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:34 am

izzyhara wrote:
jayswett wrote:
Several comments:
1) Very nice performance. For only 14 months of playing, that was very solid, with (mostly) crisp chord changes. I, too, learned this as one of my very first lessons.

2) You and I have the same problem of playing at a tempo which is just a bit too fast. If you slow that down a bit, it will be even more enjoyable, and easier to play.

3) A couple of simple things you can do to spice the piece up a bit are a) walk down the base when making your transition from G to Em. That would involve hitting the base note G followed by the base note F# followed by the base note E as you reach your Em chord b) when playing the D chord in the verse, lift your second finger briefly off the high E string to add some melody to the strumming.

4) Keep your strumming hand a bit more relaxed to allow for a mellower strumming sound.

5) It looks to me like you are far enough along in your development to learn the intro/lead part. Not too difficult, and fun to play.

Great job on this. Looking forward to seeing more.
Jay sounds just like Neil !!! Slow it down, release the grip a little on the pick, on and on. And I also agree with Suzi - the first one is the hardest, and we are all very proud of you "coming out" so quickly. Nice to see you and hear you play. The other fun thing about putting up a video so early in your time here is that you will get to refer back to it in a very short time and see how much you have improved. Welcome to the club..... Izzy
High praise indeed! When you can apply that to my guitar playing, twenty or thirty years from now, I'll be even more pleased.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic