Here we go ready or not Brown eyed girl

rapsidy

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:50 am

This is like losing all your clothes in a busy stadium or shopping center :unsure:

Anyhow just after some feedback of how the progress is going and tips or future direction, I have been here TG a week and this is lesson 5 of beginners course. Not one of my favourite songs but still fun! been learning off the net for past 14mths so I'm not sure if I am on track or should be further along after that amount of time? let me know

thanks
Brad

jayswett

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 am

Several comments:
1) Very nice performance. For only 14 months of playing, that was very solid, with (mostly) crisp chord changes. I, too, learned this as one of my very first lessons.

2) You and I have the same problem of playing at a tempo which is just a bit too fast. If you slow that down a bit, it will be even more enjoyable, and easier to play.

3) A couple of simple things you can do to spice the piece up a bit are a) walk down the base when making your transition from G to Em. That would involve hitting the base note G followed by the base note F# followed by the base note E as you reach your Em chord b) when playing the D chord in the verse, lift your second finger briefly off the high E string to add some melody to the strumming.

4) Keep your strumming hand a bit more relaxed to allow for a mellower strumming sound.

5) It looks to me like you are far enough along in your development to learn the intro/lead part. Not too difficult, and fun to play.

Great job on this. Looking forward to seeing more.

suziko

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 am

Brad,

Nice job and congratulations on taking the plunge. THe first video is always the hardest.

Jay gave you all the suggestios (and more!) that I would have said. I'd definitely see about trying out the into. When I first learned to play this song (it was also one of my first songs) I tried to do the intro, but without a cutaway guitar it was hard to get at those high frets. With your guitar, you'll have no probem.

Thanks for posting!

Suzi

dekotaj

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:33 am

BRAVO!!Brad,

Great job on your first post.Keep up the good work,and keep them coming.Really enjoyed it.

Kevin

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 am

No need to be sorry Brad! Good job on your first post and congrats at singing too. Jay was in first with the improvement tips and I agree with what he's said... especially with slowing down a bit which will make everything a lot easier. Welcome to the video posters club and keep 'em coming!
Chris

BobR

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Brad,

Nice first guitar post and singing too. I Think everyone has learned this song at one time or another. I think Jay's got all the comments you'll need. The only thing I noticed was I think you might be missing a strum sometimes. I believe it is D D U U D U.

Good Job

Bob

dennisg

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Very good first effort, Brad. I look forward to your future posts. It takes a lot of chutzpah to sing your first time out of the chute.

willem

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Hey Brad there you are,congrat,Jay give you good advice for how to give your strumming a nicer mellower sound,,can i suggest something to,,,i know the strumming is D DU UDU, when you try to focus on the first down and hit the bass strings there and the following strums more on the other strings, also give a look at Neils lesson in how to strum with a pick and about the angle of it,, all of this with slowing and losing up and you are there..

looking forward to your next..goodluck

Chasplaya

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 pm

For a first vid post that was pretty good mate. I agree with Jay a wee bit fast and you should practice with the dreaded metronome lol ( I hate it , but it helps).

And props to you for breaking out the singin first post also :)

look forward to more from you

cheers

Chas

wammer

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Brad dont apologize..Good job. First vid is hard....whew now thats done you can get down to business...LOL

Is there a chance that your using a very hard pick???? Im not one to be givin out advise ...but maybe try a lighter(softer) one.

Tammy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic