The Sage - A Trip Out Of The Comfort Zone

wrench

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:18 pm

I wasn't expecting the response I got over this post. You guys are incredible. Thank you all for the positive support. One of the things I wanted to do with the post was call attention to the fact that TG put up this website in late March last year, and give us pause to reflect on how we have progressed. I, for one, exceeded both my expectations, and the expectations I had of TG. I really would be in awe of a musician for whom TARGET doesn't have enough material. I know that I won't run run out of TARGET material anytime soon.

I appreciate all your positive feedback. As a community, we're good about appreciating a good effort, and I think that makes the TG community very special. I think I have my tech fixed, and I promise the followup vid will be worth your support.

Marc - You're right about the football. I felt I had no chance at this song just a month ago because the stretches were out of my reach. Pun intended.

takhak - Thanks for not writing me off yet. I expect the followup to be much better.

d_dog - Memorizing this thing was a &#$*%^$! It took me 4 days to learn it well enough to start plucking notes, then I worked on it (and nothing else) for 2 weeks.

Nemaste - It was a guitar playing funk that sent me into this song. I had about 5 songs I was working on where 1 or 2 riffs or chord changes weren't real clean, but I couldn't clean them up. And these were not difficult songs. I would go look for some piece of new material to play, and instead come across a bunch of easier songs, and I would learn and play them in minutes. I was playing more songs, but I was not playing better. So I bit off more than I could chew, and now everything I have ever played is now cleaner and effortless. If you're in a funk, I recommend you challenge yourself.

MarkM - Thanks. It hasn't been easy for me to keep plugging away on this while you're scoring Neil Young and alternate tunings at a high rate. Good job, too, by the way. I really loved Cowgirl in the Sand. I haven't worked on it too much yet, but The Old Laughing Lady is my next Neil Young.

Bear - Thanks, and your claims are legit. Absolute beginner to The Sage in 1 year. Frankly, I think the whole TG and TARGET experience are more responsible for the achievement than I am. And do you really want MY face on a poster?

Buddy - Thanks. I am indeed one who rather enjoys beating the crap out of myself. I reckon the day I post a video I like is the day I must leave TARGET. I went to see Tommy Emmanuel a couple of weeks ago, and Anthony Snape did an opening song that was just marvelous. It was great. Afterward, he said to the audience, "I'm sorry. I could have have done that one better." Sound like anyone at TG?

Craig - Thanks. I don't think I'll ever be a level 8 player, but that won't keep me from inching in that direction.

RicksPick - Thanks.

Willem - The football works. And Willem, you can get it if you really, really, want it! Thank you, my friend.

Michele - The device in the video is called a VariGrip, and it is sold by Planet Waves. I found it useful for strength and especially for training the fingers to move independently. Hmmmm...you say the stretches in this song are interesting. I say the stretches in this song are &#$*%^$! I love Yamaha guitars, but damn that 650mm scale!

Al - Thanks. I can't wait to hear it on the silent guitar - with a great voice singing it.

jim56 - Thanks, and the football really does help.

thereshopeyet - Thanks, and I got the software fixed today. Codec problem.

Kevin - I would like to see you play this song. I think you could handle it easier than I did, and honestly, I find the hybrid picking much less difficult than that 5-fret stretch.

Izzy - Thanks. I expect the followup to be really beautiful for you guys.

Beaker - Thanks, and I recommend strongly trying something really hard. Regardless of how the song turns out, you will be better player afterward. The difference it made on my other stuff is dramatic.

Bob - Thanks. When I started playing last year, I could not quite span the 3 lowest frets. I can do 4 ok now, and that 5-fret stretch is now upgraded from impossible to nightmare because of the football.

Thanks again, guys. Stay tuned for the followup in a week or two.

Dan

tovo

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Sorry Dan just got to this. I commented elsewhere but I'll say again, you have drastically undersold yourself. Great job on a difficult number.

suziko

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:35 am

Dan,

Firstly, great job on your song. I'm blown away that you could get that song to that level in one year. I'm nowhere near that level, and I've been playing for over 2 years (though things only really ramped up for me once I found TG in September). Very, very impressive.

Secondly, thanks for your hand-exercise video. I missed it the first time around, but watched it now. I'll be getting a football and might buy a Gripmaster or Varigrip, too. Thanks so much for that information!

Suzi

Catman

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:59 am

Nicely played Dan!

I've been working on this myself, so I know how hard it is!

David

wrench

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:39 am

Thank you Suzi and David. I don't know where my next Out of Zone trip will go, but I can't imagine I'd succeed at anything tougher than this song. Good luck with it David.

Dan

AndyT

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:08 pm

I spend a few days on planes and I come back to this.

Dan,
Great job. You have done exactly what you intended to do. I daresay that 90% of the credit goes to the person that did the work and put in the time. Neil is a great teacher but if we don't practice... You my friend have obviously spent some quality time with your guitar. Don't sell yourself short. I expect by this time next year you will be jamming Classical Gas, or Sleight of Hand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic