The Sage - A Trip Out Of The Comfort Zone

wrench

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:16 pm

If you are looking for entertainment, move along - there's nothing to see here. For those who watch it anyway, the audio is mercifully poor because an update of my webcam software broke the ability to use an external mic.

This is a trip outside of my comfort zone. So far out, I probably don't belong there. This is a TARGET level 8 song, and I am no level 8 player. I did this for a few reasons. First, I was plateaued, and wanted to try something harder to break the log jam. Second, I think there are some important metrics here. It so happens that I started playing a year ago - exactly one year ago yesterday. For the first couple of weeks I just plucked single notes. I wasn't able to get off the ground with any lessons until I found TG about two weeks later. So, the metric is this: how far can a newbie expect to progress in a year at TG? From Zero To The Sage. The second metric is the therapy one can derive from hand exercises. I dedicate this video to a foam rubber football because this song has some severe physical challenges (at least for me), and I could not envision me ever playing this song even a month ago. For every hour I have on this song, I have one on the football. I do not have hand dimensions that are good for guitar, and what I have is in bad shape; playing this song is a significant personal milestone, and proof that folks with poor hands can probably make them better than they are.

For anyone considering something like this, it broke the log jam. Everything I played before tackling this song I now play fluently. This song is still very poor at this stage, but far enough along to convince me that I will have it good shape in a few weeks, and therefore, succeed outside of my comfort zone. What I would like to hear from my fellow TG'ers is whether you think I uncorked this mess too soon. I probably wouldn't have posted it yet were it not for the opportunity to use it as a metric for TG.

Lavallee

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Wrench this is brillant playing. You are being way too hard on yourself. You are handling those complicated chords without buzzing (can't hear them anyway) and you are doing hybrid picking that I have not tried myself. That footbal has done some magic on your hand

You are ligth years ahead of where I was on my first year.

In no time there will be no pause and will be perfect.

Great video

Marc

takhak

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:43 pm

very nice.a teacher i had said it is important to record yourself
to track improvement because your skills improve dramattcally but
our level of self criticism never changes.that was very good.

d_dog

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Wow Wrench! Absolutely amazing, You played excellently, you are well in line to be playing level 8 songs. How long have you been playing this one? I'm amazed that you've got it all memorized. And the video and audio quality were great really.
Bravo man, you will have this one down pat in no time.

nemastetaylor

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 am

I definitely enjoyed your playing. I think you did a great job. that is a hard song. I am kind of in a guitar playing funk right now. I am trying to decided what to try next. Perhaps I will give this song a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

Nemaste

MarkM

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:19 am

That was really fantastic. One year huh??? I was inmpressed on so many different levels. Your left hand position is awesome. I'd say about 80+% of all the notes were very clear. What ever you are doing for your hand with that football is doing wonders because you really had those chords down well. This was so good for one who has only been playing for a year and such a short amount of time on this particular song. I can't wait to see the next installment. Keep it up you are doing great!!!

MarkM

BigBear

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:22 am

Dan- I am absolutely blown away by the improvement you've made. It is nothing short of miraculous to go from absolute beginner to playing the Sage. Sure, it's not perfect yet and not quite up to tempo but it's way better than what I expected.

I'm almost speechless, almost! Congratulations on what you've achieved so far. You should be the poster boy for the TARGET program if that's what has allowed you to progress so far, so quickly!

Cheers my friend! :cheer:

buddy

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:45 am

Dan,

Ditto what Bigbear said. And as others have said we are always our worst critic.

Great job,

Bud

Craig

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:22 am

Happy one year birthday! Like most of us, you are way too hard on yourself. I thought you did a great job on that. If you are not an 8 player, you are well on your way. Great job!
Craig

RicksPick

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 am

Dan WOW

Playing for only 1 year, wow
Not to early to post this as it's in good shape now
Well done for all the hard work

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic