Response to The Sage by Wrench

TGNeil

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:43 pm

If you are looking for entertainment, move along - there's nothing to see here. For those who watch it anyway, the audio is mercifully poor because an update of my webcam software broke the ability to use an external mic.

This is a trip outside of my comfort zone. So far out, I probably don't belong there. This is a TARGET level 8 song, and I am no level 8 player. I did this for a few reasons. First, I was plateaued, and wanted to try something harder to break the log jam. Second, I think there are some important metrics here. It so happens that I started playing a year ago - exactly one year ago yesterday. For the first couple of weeks I just plucked single notes. I wasn't able to get off the ground with any lessons until I found TG about two weeks later. So, the metric is this: how far can a newbie expect to progress in a year at TG? From Zero To The Sage. The second metric is the therapy one can derive from hand exercises. I dedicate this video to a foam rubber football because this song has some severe physical challenges (at least for me), and I could not envision me ever playing this song even a month ago. For every hour I have on this song, I have one on the football. I do not have hand dimensions that are good for guitar, and what I have is in bad shape; playing this song is a significant personal milestone, and proof that folks with poor hands can probably make them better than they are.

For anyone considering something like this, it broke the log jam. Everything I played before tackling this song I now play fluently. This song is still very poor at this stage, but far enough along to convince me that I will have it good shape in a few weeks, and therefore, succeed outside of my comfort zone. What I would like to hear from my fellow TG'ers is whether you think I uncorked this mess too soon. I probably wouldn't have posted it yet were it not for the opportunity to use it as a metric for TG.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Wow Dan! That was something else! And it's official, you're crazy for trying that song! ;-) You're my hero of the Day for going there and taking on the big 8! What can I say? I think that was the quickest video response from Neil ever. Says it all. Great going Dan!

wrench

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Well, that was unexpected. Very much appreciated, but unexpected. Thank you, Neil, for the additional tips. I can't believe I missed the alternating picking in the first classical riff. I knew it didn't sound right, and the tip fixed it instantly. With the exercises in the response video, the triplet rolls won't take long, either. When I put this video up, I expected it would be a few weeks for a followup, but I might get it done sooner. Then I will work on the melody versions of the verses.

Crazy? Yeah, I'm sort of allergic to anything easy, but it's really TARGET and the TG community that made this possible. What a program.

Thanks again, Neil.

Dan

tom18

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Dan,
You did a terrific job with a very difficult tune. It makes me wonder whether you've been honest saying that you've only been at this a year. Congratulations on becoming TG student of the year! All the best,
Tom

wrench

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 pm

tom18 wrote:
Dan,
You did a terrific job with a very difficult tune. It makes me wonder whether you've been honest saying that you've only been at this a year. Congratulations on becoming TG student of the year! All the best,
Tom
Thanks, Tom. Well, I'm honest within a day or two. I bought a guitar on March 8, 2009. I had right hand surgery on March 9, 2009. I didn't actually play a song until I found TG later that month. I did play a little in my early teens, but don't count it because I was awful, everything I learned was wrong, and it was over 40 years ago.

I think Neil gets Teacher of the Year.

Dan

tovo

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Dan, you wrote it was poor. Poor my butt! Great job on a difficult tune.

itfc1959

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:14 pm

Well done, Dan. It is a very tricky piece and you've done a great job so far. It's always work in progress as far as I'm concerned, and if you keep at it as you obviously have been then soon enough it will all fall into place, and the hairs on the back of your neck will stand on end - believe me, they will. And when you least expect it, like on a little run-through when your mind's elsewhere at the time.

Anyway, well done.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Dan, "excellent performance" would be an understatement.

By the way, congratulations on the new beard, it suits you quite well.
I am folically challenged and so can't hope to grow such a swell beard,
but your overcoming the physical challenges you mentioned inspires me
to aim higher, and not just for playing guitar.

Thanks for posting this.

Pierre

waggis

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:18 am

Beautiful song Dan. I've not tried to finger pick while using a plectrum, but it looks quite difficult. Good job.

David

stratman3

Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:26 am

Dan,
That was GREAT, wonderful job. I have watched many on your videos and man you have come a long way in one year. Difficult song to play, I dabbled with it a while back and instantly gave up. You inspire me, I am going to have to take another look and give it another try.
You should be very proud...Congrats. I think your over the hump.

Gary B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic