FATHER AND SON WITH VOCALS

buddy

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:37 pm

I saw Neil's review of Father and Son that Bob posted up and it inspired me to try it out. It made me think a lot about my son who is away at the University. And yes, in that first picture you can see I used to have hair. :ohmy:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bud

takhak

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:11 am

nice job buddy. you and Izzy putting up videos inspired me to come out
shadowsand maybe even upload something. keep them coming.

mcfingers

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:25 am

That has always been one of my favorite Cat Stevens songs and you did a fine job. I was planning on posting a version of this song too.
This has nothing to do with the song but I liked the personal touch with the photos. I could see the pride in your eyes. Good looking boy you got there too. Well done.

beaker

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:37 am

Buddy,
Nice work on the song, I like how confident you are with the singing. That part where it goes to Bm7 must be tough. Anyway, I have a couple of suggestions. In the intro when you play the G, if you finger it with your 3rd and 4th fingers, then you can lay down the C/G while still holding the G by laying down your 1st and 2nd fingers into where the C goes, this makes it C combined with G. I am sure you will here this advice again. It will make the intro sound smoother.
Nice job though Buddy, good job posting it. The small details will be ironed out soon enough I am sure. Beaker.

tovo

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:34 am

Hey Buddy. This song is definitely a favorite of mine as well and means a lot to me. I'm glad to see it posted. My comments are intended to provide honest feedback, not set myself up as a know-all. I know very little actually but I can only say what I think, others may disagree, that's cool.

The intro is tough in terms of timing. Cat himself got to cheat by having that little riff played for him by a 2nd guitar. I just think it's more practice on that to get it smoother and the 'Neil Hogan' fingering of the G helps in that enormously.

I felt the tempo was too fast. You phrased the lyrics differently to the original and that's cool, after all it's your interpretation, but I felt the song lost it's vibe because of the faster tempo and also the phrasing. I thought you sped up noticably through the little instrumental in particular.

OK, I'm cautious about offending. That's why I say again; that's not my intent at all, just offering my opinion.

Feel free to go to town on me when I next post a video! :)

buddy

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:39 am

Tovo,

No offense taken at all, the type of direct and honest feedback that you give me has really helped me with some of the other songs I posted. I am going to go back and review the G fingering as was suggested. I think the tempo was driven by the amount of coffee I drank yesterday :-). On the phrasing, I find that I just find my own feeling for a song when I sing it and would rather stick with that to make it a little more personal than trying to mimic the original artist.

Again, no offense taken at all.

wrench

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:29 am

That song is something special to any man with adult sons, and I have two. Buddy, a lot of us have played, or are working on that song, but man, those vocals were spectacular. The range and power are impressive. That was a great job, and thanks for sharing it with all of us "Old Dads".

Dan

BobR

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Bud,

I'm glad you did this song. Adding the vocals makes it complete.

Great Job,
Bob

izzyhara

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Nice job Buddy. I so love this song. I sang the "stay-stay-stay" harmonies along with you. So you were in your kitchen - we are all even getting more creative about where we record !! Izzy

buddy

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback, us old dads need to stick together. :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic