DRIVE TAKE 4 - last attempt

buddy

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 am

So I tried to work on the palm muting as was suggested in a previous post and I promise this will be my last post on this song. :woohoo: So please get your comments and suggestions in to help me move it along.

I see why they named it Drive since it is driving me crazy to try an learn it. :silly:

Bud

P.S. Neil if you review it I won't break my promise and post a take 5 :blink:

tovo

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:43 am

Bud I feel your pain with this. I had all sorts of trouble with a number I don't care to mention and the harder I tried with it the worse it got. I intend to revisit it one day and conquer it, but it's taken a back seat for now. Anyway, this one seems (for me anyway) to just not be working as well as so much of your other work. Unfortunately I can't offer a lot as to why, just a couple of ideas. The strumming just sounds too hard to me. I know that has been raised before and it was suggested you hold the pick with a much lighter grip. For mine it's still an issue. I would back the vocal off and concentrate on more groove and less volume, you are really belting it out and it just seems a bit overpowering to me.

Not much help I know but there it is for what it's worth. Kudos for sticking with it.

Lavallee

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 am

Bud I find that the voice balance is much better with the guitar sound. I feel your strumming is too hard meaning that rather than strumming in the palm muting section you try to pick it resulting in the the reverse of what should happen. The palm muting should be softer than the final strum (some crescendo). In your video you are palm muting the base line (soft sound) but picking the string (loud sound) then strumming the quarter note smoothly (soft sound).

Marc

Here is Incubus accoustic version which will probably explain better:

buddy

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Tony and Mark,

Thanks for the pick tip ( I think others have mentioned it as well)> I went back and watched Neil's strumming with a pick lesson and it really helped.

Bud

stratman3

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:06 am

Bud,

Very nice and GREAT improvement in all areas. I have watched all of your vids and you are progressing nicely I am also working on this song, I love it.

Good stuff

Gary B)

jayswett

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:46 am

You have definitely demonstrated improvement over the course of these four takes. My feeling about this song in general is that it doesn't really lend itself to playing as a stand alone acoustic guitar piece. Having said that, I would imagine Neil would disagree since he decided to post it as a lesson. I haven't yet watched the video to which Marc linked, and perhaps I will change my mind after watching it. Nevertheless, watching your progress with this difficult song, as well as Wrench' version of the Sage, has inspired me to take on some more difficult material. I don't have enough self confidence to post my early attempts/struggles as you have, but perhaps that should also be something to admire about your videos. And by the way, your version of Bring on the Wonder was very, very good. It is obvious that you have had some real voice training.

Followup comment: I just watched the video to which Marc posted, and I retract my comment about it not sounding good as a stand alone aoustic piece. It actually sound great. Not only that, I much prefer it a a stand alone acoustic piece. As I re-read all this, I can see that I am doing a wonderful job demonstrating my ignorance of music in general. My other comments, though, remain reasonably valid, I think.

buddy

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Jay,

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. As far as voice lessons, I had not played or sang since I was 15 years old, 35 years ago.. I gave up music for sports when I was in Middle school, which I now greatly regret. My son started playing the guitar about two years ago and it reignited my musical interests. I did not realize how much joy that music brought to my life and I am really enjoying the TG community.

Bud

jayswett

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:31 am

buddy wrote:
Jay,

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. As far as voice lessons, I had not played or sang since I was 15 years old, 35 years ago.. I gave up music for sports when I was in Middle school, which I now greatly regret. My son started playing the guitar about two years ago and it reignited my musical interests. I did not realize how much joy that music brought to my life and I am really enjoying the TG community.

Bud
I would argue that the challange for us as parents is not to steer our kids away from sports and into music, or vice versa, but to encourage more of a balance. Too muh of one over the other, while not necessarily an unhealthy situation, does not lend itself to developing well rounded young adults. I suspect you would agree with this. Since I joined TG 8 or 9 monhts ago, I'm happy to say my kids are beginning to show some signs of interest. I am continuing to encourage, very gently, more interest in learning a musical instrument of any kind. Personally, I'd like to see my young ones take up the piano.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic