TOVO - Sister Golden Hair

BigBear

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:01 am

Chas, my friend, I accept that there are good and bad critiques in life and your standard for criticism may be much different than others. But where I respectfully disagree with you is in the use of the term "critique". I don't think what anyone provided here is a critique of anyone. Critique implies criticism and judgement, neither of which anyone used here. I do believe many suggestions or ideas for improvement, based on individual experiences and training, were provided.

The only reason I'm throwing my 2 cents in here now is because the student videos have lost their meaning to a large extent precisely because we're all scared to death to hurt or offend someone. So in lieu of valid and useful feedback we simply say "Great job!" That's fair because there are very few people that I've seen on this site who are qualified to critique anyone, especially me.

But where your post fell off the rails is when you started discussing proper "critiques" and the training needed to provide them. Any of us that routinely provide feedback or suggestions to other players would be shocked to learn that what we are doing is perceived as critiqueing ie. criticizing anyone. I will state categorically that what I provide is not criticism or judgement in any way, shape or form.

Tony is a good friend of mine and someone I admire and respect greatly. And I know his heart is committed to improvement. Like all of us I'm sure he really appreciates all the kind words and praise he gets but he really wants good, solid feedback, like Dennis and I tried to provide. If all a player hears is how great they are how do you make improvements based on that? The only way to improve is to hear from other players of similar or superior skills, weigh their advice and incorporate it if it makes sense.

I think we need to be very, very careful in criticizing the few people who are willing to provide solid, candid feedback. Especially for those guitarists who are begging for it. If we scare off these people, who are willing to speak frankly and provide the benefit of their skill and experience to all of us trying to get better, we are losing something of value and then all we have left are sincere but useless platitudes.

As long as the advice being offered isn't hurtful and is well intentioned I say bring it on and encourage everyone to help those guiatrists who want help without fear that their comments will be considered "too harsh" or held up to some other fuzzy standard. If you have to go to school to learn how to provide feedback I think we may have missed the point! Or the boat! :cheer:

tovo

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 am

It's been a wild few days on the forum guys. I don't want or need to write a book. I speak only for myself. I've NEVER felt that I was being harshly judged here. I want great feedback and I got it. I don't feel attacked, I don't feel defended. I'm real happy with the progress I'm making and I'm glad I've made some great friends like y'all (still love saying that) in the process.

One thing I will add is that I really agree with Rick that honest feedback, provided it's done with respect, is the best feedback I think.

Now, please...peace.

AndyT

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 am

Man.

I so feel a sermon about to explode forth all over you guys! LOL
but instead, let me just give you one word: Grace. If you want more on that, PM me.

Tony,

Well done. You wanted to work on your barres and you did just that. I'm not worried about your strumming in this vid because that's not what you were working on, so its pretty much a moot point no matter how well you did or didn't strum.

There were some duds in there. I heard them clearly. I know you did too, or you wouldn't be working on them so hard. But your changes were much more fluid and most of the barres were clean. I was listening for the ringing of the chords but I did not hear it. Hmmm... I think because of the way you did your changes. If you listen to Dewey play this you will hear some high strings ringing out as he changes and they don't get stopped or muted by his changes. I know you're not Dewey, but you're getting there!

Nice choice to work your way up to a heavier pick. Ive been doing the same thing and its made a difference. Less pick noise and cleaner sounding all around.

Sorry to take so long getting to you on this one. You know how my schedule works. LOL

Oh, and if you don't like my feedback, then stop payment on the check. LOL

tovo

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:48 am

Pass the collection plate Andy, I'm a happy man. Thanks for the feedback much appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic