TOVO - Sister Golden Hair

tovo

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:25 pm

I learned this song for a simple reason - to improve my barre chords, particularly up the neck. I've been playing with a friend who is a better player and who uses a lot of barre chords up the neck and I was keen to move my playing in that direction. After seeing Dog so it and watching the lesson I thought that SGH would fit the bill nicely.

I think I can sing it but I really wanted to post a video for review of my playing. I really dig the singing videos from others which I find very entertaining but I wanted the focus here to be on the guitar.

Couple of things I picked up myself, the thumb makes a big appearance whenever I play an E, but I have big hands and I don't feel my position on it is bad, but you guys are the best judge of that. I am spending too much time looking at the fretting hand in fear of making a mistake, something I do less when the camera isn't on.

Finally, I only played through an intro, couple of verses, chorus and outro. Didn't feel the need to bore you all with another 2 minutes of strumming.

The song has done it's job, I feel much more confident with those barres. In line with Neil's teaching philosophy, I am finding I can apply these chords to a huge range of songs. One of them is an absolute Australian classic that the Aussies would pick but few of you Americans or Europeans would know. I wonder if any of the Aussies can guess it?

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Craig

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Nice Job Tony! If your goal is to smooth out barre chords up the neck, I would say you are accomplishing that. I look forward to hearing the "Aussie Classic" soon.
Craig

BobR

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Tony,

Nice job moving around with those barre chords. You seemed to be pretty comfortable with them. A couple minor misses but looking good!!

Bob

izzyhara

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:54 pm

This sounded really good. I am taking inspiration from you - rather than avoiding barre chords, which has been my goal in life, I will meet them head on like you did. I love this chord progression, and I sang along, so we sounded really good together. Loved it, love you.... Good job. Izzy

tovo

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks Craig and Bob for commenting. Always appreciated. Izzy, I'd be happy to back-up your singing any day. In person would be better but we do what we can eh! Thanks for the comments.

buddy

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Tony,

Good job with the bar chords and nice hand position.

It was weird though seeing you without a green face. :-)

Bud

tovo

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 pm

buddy wrote:
Tony,

Good job with the bar chords and nice hand position.

It was weird though seeing you without a green face. :-)

Bud
Thanks for the comment Bud. It's weird seeing you in videos without your cowboy hat! :)

michelew

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Tony - You had me singing along right after the intro- I couldn't help myself. It was really smooth! There were a couple of places where it might have been a little muted, but I had to listen for it and I wasn't sure whether you might have been muting it deliberately. Your rhythm is great and your strumming hand looks like it's doing it's job perfectly! You're not strumming too hard either so obviously the N@#*W practice has paid off. Your thumb is peaking over the back a bit in 1st position, but your hand is in great form when you do the barre chords.

Great job - I really loved it! It reminds me that I need to get back to barre chords as well.

Aussie classic...I'm thinking Chisels..., but it could be many others.

tovo

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:05 pm

michelew wrote:
Tony - You had me singing along right after the intro- I couldn't help myself. It was really smooth! There were a couple of places where it might have been a little muted, but I had to listen for it and I wasn't sure whether you might have been muting it deliberately. Your rhythm is great and your strumming hand looks like it's doing it's job perfectly! You're not strumming too hard either so obviously the N@#*W practice has paid off. Your thumb is peaking over the back a bit in 1st position, but your hand is in great form when you do the barre chords.

Great job - I really loved it! It reminds me that I need to get back to barre chords as well.

Aussie classic...I'm thinking Chisels..., but it could be many others.
Thanks Michele. No deliberate muting just a slightly missed chord. But overall I'm quite happy with the progress.

Fail on the Chisels by the way! (I might post a little clip to help but it will be lost on our US and European friends I'm sure)

michelew

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:10 pm

You should be proud of your progress! Not Chisels eh....hmm...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic