TOVO - Sister Golden Hair

d_dog

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:28 pm

Fantastic Tony! Really great song for working on barre chords for sure. You did a really great job of it. Can't wait to hear you sing it! I guess I can't say exactly how well you could play barre chords before, but you're doing great now. Your rhythm is great, however I do agree with the others about the fact that there are some variations in the song that you should consider.
Marc makes a good point about that into, it really sells the song when you hit that A on beat 4 instead of beat 1. Along those lines, I felt there were time when you just missed the emphasis and timing one beat 1. As I was singing along, I felt you may have been just a bit too late on some of the down strokes on beat 1, I'll keep listening to make sure I'm hearing that right. Hell maybe I've been playing it wrong all this time!
Bravo man!

buddy

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Tony,

I really enjoy your witty sense of humor.

Bud

tovo

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Gary thanks for the comment my friend, much appreciate.

Jay I think you and I are reaching a similar conclusion on a point that Neil makes a lot. Practice what is hard for you not what is easy and you will make progress and guess what? He's right. Go figure. I just don't know what it is with NW, it has me puzzled. I still struggle with it. Thanks for taking the time Jay, I'll definitely look at some variation.

Damian thanks for some good feedback. I thought your voice for this song was just perfect and I'll go back and check out your strumming to compare the timing. It was your effort that woke me up to the value of this song so thanks for posting that one.

Bud, I'm glad you realise I'm kidding around, I'm not sure everyone does at times! Cheers mate.

wammer

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Tony This is a song that I love and my guitar buddy brought to the table for us to
play. Well he plays I sing...grrrr damm :ohmy: barre chords. :blush:
Its all been said soooooooooo all I can say is that anyone that can play
barre chords is a hero in my books. Good job

Tammy

tovo

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 pm

wammer wrote:
Tony This is a song that I love and my guitar buddy brought to the table for us to
play. Well he plays I sing...grrrr damm :ohmy: barre chords. :blush:
Its all been said soooooooooo all I can say is that anyone that can play
barre chords is a hero in my books. Good job

Tammy
Well anyone who can sing as well as you Tammy can be my vocalist anytime! Thanks for taking the time to comment, much appreciated always.

willem

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:05 am

Hello Tony,, i must thank you,,for what you maybe think,,well its for this song,, i been through the lesson and its gonna be one of mine practice lesson every week,,i find its a must to practice this song like you for the bar chords,,,

Question,, did D-DOG a video on this one.?

rsg99

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:13 am

Good job Tony. SGH sure is a great song to practice barre chords.

I couldn't tell if you were using a pick or not. I was really surprised about with your comment above about using a heavier pick. Maybe it was just the recording, but it sounded a little mmuted to me, like you were just using your thumb.

Strumming and barre chords are excellent.

BG

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:19 am

I'm late to the party on this one..
Great playing, Tony. I found this song an excellent workout for my barres as well.
Yours seem to be coming along really well. Very clean- and this song has some tough changes imho.

Wondering if the phantom singer (aka chris) is working on vocals to add to it?

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:51 am

The Phantom has a bit of a groggy voice at the moment (so I've heard) and is skulking in the wings waiting for a better moment to strike. The Phantom reckons Tony would do a good job on this one...

dennisg

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:34 am

Tony,

I wrote a long response to your video, then it occurred to me that I might be duplicating the comments of others, so I went back and read what everyone else wrote. Sure enough ...

One of the many things I like about you is your dedication to getting better. I see it in almost everything you post -- your relentless passion for attacking the skills that you need to work on. That's an enormously useful quality and I admire it so much and wish more of that quality were present in me. That you go through the effort to learn a new song just so you can address a weakness really deserves applause. And there's no doubt that the results of this exercise are going to help you in your playing for as long as you're strong enough to lift a guitar.

Tony, I've edited this post because Chas thinks that some comments about your strumming are harsh. Since I was one of the ones who made a comment, I'll have to assume he was including my post. I disagree with him, but I'll send my comment to you in private.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic