MarkM - The Beatles Norwegian Wood - new and hopefully improved

MarkM

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:58 pm

UGH............

Well earlier today when I should have been working on the Elton John colaboration, I got a bit side tracked and decided to play around with my new microphone and Audacity. I wanted to go to a song that I knew fairly well and decided to drag out Norwegian Wood again. I took some tips that Neil left me on the "You've got to hide your love away" upload in regards to lightening up a bit on the pick. Well I grabed the camera and then plugged in my new mic and directly recorded the audio to Audacity while I recorded the video on the camera.

The good news was that it really only took me a real short time to actually get the guitar and vocals down. The bad news was that I had a (&%($& of a time getting it put all together. I wound up transfering all the files to my wifes laptop as it is the most powerful in the house at this time and worked it through Premier Elements 8. Flying by the seat of my pants and not really looking at the directions I was able to lock in the audio and video pretty good. Added a title and off I went to "share" it with my computer. Well I would get great video but no audio and it was driving me crazy. Long story long I decided to try and share it in AVI format and it worked. The video quality didn't come out as good as I would have liked but it's late (12:38AM) and it's a school night so I wanted to get this out and see what the feed back was when I get up in the morning.

The Taylor DN8 has no electronics so what you hear is just my mic aimed just behind the soundhole. The vocal is just me singing into the same mic into Audacity on the computer. I had a couple of takes so I used a portion of another one to overdub the two sections in the song where Paul joins. Although the song probably needs it, I didn't add any effects. I was pleasantly surprised at how warm the sound was that the mic was picking up. I don't normally hear that from where my ears are.

Thanks for reading through this and watching. As always I'm ready for the comments and suggestions. Oh and if you got headphones I would suggest them as this sounds a bit better with them.

MarkM

tovo

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:07 am

Mark as someone who has been haunted by this song can I say I loved it. I'm not in a position to offer any tips on this particular number so I'll leave it at that!

dekotaj

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:15 am

WOW!!BRAVO MarkM!!

What a great job.Really enjoyed lessening to that cover.New mic did a heck of a job.Like I think I've said after all your post,Just amazed at the sound you get on your guitars.Thought the singing was also very good.BRAVO!!!BRAVO!!

Kevin

rapsidy

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:13 am

Really really enjoyed that Mark

great job, I am sure it is an improved version I must go take a peek at the old one

Do they have a topic on mic set ups on here? because that sounded great :)

Brad

Chasplaya

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 am

Bravo Mark, very nice playing throughout, couldn't fault your playing and as I'm not a singer whatsoever and don't know enough about it I'll just say I'm impressed with your new found confidence to sing well done mate.

mark

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 am

Really good

Guitar playing sounding great as usual
I can't believe how good your vocals have got in such a short time.
Especially liked the double tracked vocals

willem

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:11 am

MarkM..there you have made a very nice cover,,the overdubt vocals,thats new in the vid and can inspire us.

Question,,you sang it very nice,,is it easer for you when you hear the melody notes???

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 am

Hi Mark, nothing to suggest but to congratulates you. The guitar is well balanced and I to is very impressed in your singing improvement.

Marc

MarkM

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks All.

Tony - Now why was I not surprised to see you respond first. :laugh: :laugh: I understand what you mean. I've got few of those songs as well. You've been playing so well, I'd be curious to hear would it would sound like if you picked up this song again. I think you've given in a long enough rest.

Kevin - Thanks. I have never played with a mic before. This is going to be fun experimenting with different placements for it.

Brad - Thanks!!! I don't believe there is a topic for mic set ups but I would really like to see a discussion on audio recording tips.

Chas - Thanks! I'm trying. I'm never going to win any awards but if I can improve to where the cats and dogs don't run for the hills I'll be ok. :laugh: :laugh:

mark - Thanks for the support. Much appreciated!!

Willem - Thanks. It's been a while since I've seen you around. I hope all is well.

Marc - Thanks. It's a slow process and I've got so much more to learn.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:48 am

Hey Mark, that is excellent! Great playing and solid vocals: really enjoyable. I was going to say, hide it away from Tony but he was in like Flynn on it already ;-). Great job!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic