MarkM - The Beatles Norwegian Wood - new and hopefully improved

haoli25

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:23 am

Great job Mark! Very smooth. Tony trained you well on that song. :)

Bill Image

wrench

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 am

Another winner Mark. Great performance on both playing and singing. The tech is pretty interesting too - and successful, I might add. Great job. Thanks for sharing it with us.

BobR

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 am

Mark,

You really have that nailed. Guitar sounds GREAT as well as the vocals. Liked the ovedubbing

Great job

Bob

jayswett

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am

Brilliant. I actually had a hard time figuring out which voice was Paul's. The song suits your voice perfectly. Nicely done.

BigBear

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Mark- maybe it took 9 takes but the last one was worth it! But as you know, I can't resist offering some suggestions. Guess what, I don't have any, you were that good! Sorry, I really liked the whole thing!!

Your hand position looked fine, your strumming was perfect and your use of the hammer-ons was just right. And I liked your singing a lot. Put this one in the "Best of Mark Book" because you've got this song nailed!!

Congrats on a great post! :cheer:

mcfingers

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Very nicely done. I have nothing more to add, except maybe get a bass player and some drums and you are good to go. Inspires me to work even harder. Well done.

Steve

MarkM

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks All.

Chris - Yup Tony was the first there. However it was the middle of the afternoon where he was. :) :)

Bill - He did indeed. If I could only get smooth barre transistions like him on that America song.........

wrench - Thank you. The tech part I'm having fun with. More than I thought really.

Bob - Thanks you for the kind words.

Jay - Thanks. Yeah I wasn't trying to sound like Paul. That will never happen. I was just playing around and thought that I'd overdub that section with another track I had recorded. Interesting sound though.

Bear - Thank you so much. Coming from you that is all one can ask for. :) :) Now it's back to the drawing board for a new song.

Steve - Thanks. Maybe I'll figure out how to add some of those via a computer program. Never know. There could be some surprises coming in the future.

MarkM

dennisg

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:25 pm

Mark, I am so envious of your guitar playing! Perfect strumming technique, supple wrist, flawless timing -- everything nice and relaxed. Congratulations.

d_dog

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Man Mark, I'm with Bear and Dennis on this one, Fantastic, no advise from me.
Really excellent! Great sound too. That mic placement really works well. Love the vocal doubling.
You mentioned some challenges with the technical side of things, but it didn't show in the end result. You've probably got it down pat now. I think it's probably unnecessary, but maybe like you said, a little post production, EQ and possessing, would add some value, but really, this isn't a recoding engineering thread and it's so easy to fall into the "over processing" trap, so if you did nothing different it would STILL be excellent!

buddy

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Mark,

As others said, what a great job you did on this !!!! I really like your sound set-up and how it added to the quality of your post. If you get a chance could you please post some details on what you are using and how you set it up for this ?

Thanks,

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic