Streets of London

AndyT

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:22 pm

I'd never heard this song before. I'd heard about it, and I understand its wildly popular in England.

You did such a sweet job of this Jay. You've hit a grand Slam on this one.

cosmicmechanic

Sun May 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Jay, I've been working on "Streets of London" since Xmas.

I concentrated at first exclusively on the intro, and am now into the verse section.
Maybe in 2 weeks I'll be onto the chorus. Hopefully I'll have it down reasonably by campfire time :)

I have a question for you, since you posted such a great video doing this tune:

Do you still have to put a lot of work into the "upkeep" of it?
Is the quality of playing easy to lose?

Pierre

mcfingers

Sun May 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Pierre, Thank you for posting the Ralph McTell Live performance YouTube of "Streets of London" I have been working on this song too and it gave me the last little keys to the fingering of the chords.

I had never heard of Ralph McTell until Jay put up his terrific version of "Streets of London".

I can't wait to hear your version Pierre.

Cheers, Steve

jayswett

Mon May 03, 2010 6:30 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
I have a question for you:

Do you still have to put a lot of work into the "upkeep" of it?
Is the quality of playing easy to lose?

Pierre
Every now and then I will play bits and pieces of it, but I haven't played it all the way through since I posted the video. I definitely think one needs to refresh his or her memory from time to time to keep things reasonably fresh. I do forget how to play things if I don't play them on a regular basis. No question about that.

cosmicmechanic

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 am

Hi Jay,

The thread you originally created is now tagged "9 months ago", which translates to, like, March 2010.

I started working on this tune a whole year ago, think Neil put it out in November 2009.

Which implies that you put in 3 or 4 months to play and sing it.

So I decided to "bump" it to reinvigorate the masses who are also in my situation, still sweating it out on this tune (I know you're out there, Tovo).

Jay "made it his own" in short order, and of course, technique is the prerequisite.

Pierre

tovo

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:02 am

You are right Pierre. I so admire Jay's work on this tune, one of my many favourites. It may well be time to get serious. Jay has shown the way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic