Streets of London

jayswett

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:24 pm

I've been working on this since late January. Still some work to do on it as you'll see. I'm running into some technical problems with trying to record the singing as I play. For this video, I did sing, but the final product contains vocals that were recorded separately. When I sing and play together, I can't control the recorded volume of the vocals, so I need to figure out a way to record the vocals separately. With my current system, the vocals overpower the guitar playing. I think I have a solution, but I need to invest some time to sort out the details. I am trying dedicate myself to learning to sing/play simultaneously, which I think I find harder than most. Nevertheless, I am making some progress and hope to demonstrate that in my next video if I can get the technical details figured out.

This performance contains only three of the four verses, and I play the chorus only twice. As usual, it's too fast, but not horrendously so.

Streets of London

Have you seen the old man in the closed-down market
Kicking up the papers, with his worn out shoes
In his eyes you see no pride and held loosely at his side
Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news

Have you seen the old girl who walks the streets of London
Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags
She's no time for talking, she just keeps right on walking
Carrying her home in two carrier bags

Chorus
So how can you tell me you're lonely
And you say for you that the sun don't shine
Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London
I'll show you something to make you change your mind

In the all night café at a quarter past eleven
Same old man is sitting there on his own
Looking at the world over the rim of his tea-cup
Each tea lasts an hour then he wanders home alone

Chorus

BobR

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Jay,

Excellent job. I am not sure what work you're referring to. It sounded really very good to me and your finger picking is great.IMHO. Your singing is also really nice even though you recorded it. It is definitely tough to sing and play at the same time.

Thanks for posting.
Bob

Lavallee

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Jay, I think this is perfect, not sure if you are going too fast, but it sounds really good to me. I am always impress with the accuracy of you picking. You also have a very good voice.

Marc

jayswett

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:55 pm

BobR wrote:
Jay,

I am not sure what work you're referring to.
Bob
I missed a number of melody notes in both the chorus and verse. If you've seen Neil's play through, you will know what I mean. Having said that, I am pleased with this as it obviously took me a while to get to this point. Six weeks or so. I have a fantasy, thanks to Chris, Bear and others, of playing at a local open mic night. This may be one I could polish a bit and play at such a venue. Not sure yet how I feel about that.. As I said, it's a fantasy.

buddy

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Jay,

That was a very nice post, you have a good ballad voice. As others have said, your finger picking is very clear and precise and you kept a nice steady tempo. You just about have this one nailed down and I did not see any major issues with it.

Thanks for posting it up.

Bud

coomba

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 pm

G'day Jay
WOW :woohoo:
That was great and you have a great voice it really suites that song.
The only advise from me would be to keep going with it and definitely play that (and sing)at your local talent night.
I wish i could sing like that.
Cheers
Scott

Ps I think Tony has asked for this song to become a lesson, I hope it does!

tovo

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 pm

Scott it is a lesson in target mate and Jay...you hit it out of the park. Your voice for that song is just perfect, you even effected a little Irish/English twang in there to my ear at least. I'm not throwing accolades at you off the cuff Jay. I thought it was special. Very, very good. I thought a tiny rough patch over the verse commencing "In the all-night cafe" if I am going to be totally honest but so minor I probably shouldn't mention it. The song is a favourite of mine and if I could hope to do it as well as you have I would be well pleased. Deserves A LOT of praise.

I just wanted to add, when you have this down absolutely cold, and you are so close, you will be able to really FEEL the vocals and then my friend it will be spectacular indeed.

Craig

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Jay,
That was great! I can't offer technical suggestions since you are light years ahead of my abilities. However, I really love finger picking, so I enjoy watching you and picking up some ideas and techniques. The open mic thing is totally within your capabilities, I would definately encourage you to go for it. Your videos inspire me to keep practicing. Thanks,
Craig

haoli25

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Bravo Jay. I watched your video through three times. It was a pleasure to watch and listen to each time. My friend you are ready for 'Open Mic Night' and I also suspect that you will be a big hit too. Thanks for posting your video Jay.

Bill Image

MarkM

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Jay I'm going to use a word I hardly ever say. That was absolutely marvelous. I'll have to go back and check Neils tempo because I don't believe you were off. If you were it was by only a fraction. I'm not sure what I'm envious of more. Your wonderful picking or the fact that you have the intestinal fortitude to stay the course in your practice regiment. Both are fantastic. I know how difficult it is to sing and play because I just can't do it properly at all. Although you overdubbed the vocals, because of a tecnical issue as you said, I could tell that you had the words coming out of your mouth all in the same time frame. Once you have that tech issue figured out I'm sure you'll be fine. Your voice, especially on this song, was just the right fit. Great job. How long have you been fingerpicking like this? Have you always gravitated to this style? Its such a pleasure to watch and listen too. I'd be happy to watch you at any open mic night. Just name the time and place.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic