Streets of London

d_dog

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 am

Really really nice job Jay, my human metronome friend. You are so iron clad with your picking it's truly a delight. And your singing sound really great, whatever you had to do to make it work, worked!
I might only make one suggestion as for playing, I think the tempo was probably spot on, maybe it felt a little fast because there may have been a slight lack of emphasis on beats 1 and 3 in the base notes, If you listen to the original it almost has this bounce back and forth on the 1 and the 3, it gives it just a little more rhythm and dynamics. Your rock solid tempo and wonderful methodic picking might sometimes lack a little swing, for lack of a better word. But believe me when I say, you are fantastic man, I can not pick that well at all! I really love listening to your stuff. I wouldn't want to take away or offend anyone else here, but there are handful of people here that clearly put A LOT of effort into their playing and practicing and it show, and you my friend are in the lot for sure.

wammer

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Jay

It is a pleasure to watch and hear you play. You really do make fingerpicking look so easy. Im really not to sure if I can sing and finger pick cause I just cant seem to get through one verse of Landslide without mistakes. I do know that I have no problem singing when I strum (anymore) Can you sing and strum??????? ....Great great job

Tammy

P.S. Maybe MarkM could pick me up and take me along I would love to come see you play an open mic :S

BigBear

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:09 pm

jayswett wrote:
Bear - I didn't realize that I was playing the bass part incorrectly. I'll have to go back and check the lesson and tab.
Jay- I didn't say wrong, just different! It sounded great the way you played it, almost a little country feel. I liked it! When you play a song you own it. Someone else may have written it but you should perform it the way you want to play it.

You can tell by all this feedback that you hit a home run with this song! :cheer:

willem

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Jay,i can only say that i enjoyed it,,,very good...hope you get it down,,the singin and playing together,,,by saying that i have a question because i im confused..so..

Did you play sing at the same time or did you sing after your playing and listen to that..
you said the vocals were overdubt do you mean, lets say, you put on two times the vocals or do you mean the vocals were overdubd on the guitar playing...thanks for sharing your performance..

michelew

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Jay - I thought that was spectacular. I really loovvve your fingerpicking. I agree with people here that it is beautifully fluid. If you missed a couple of notes, the song was no worst for it. Your voice is really lovely too.

I'm sure the slight increase in tempo is a nerves thing. I often play too fast when I'm trying to record.

I say garner a bit more confidence, but you could easily perform that song at a mic night now. I'd be clapping big time.

Really fabulous performance.

Michele

dennisg

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Man, Jay, that was just sumptuous. You make it look incredibly easy, even though I know it's not.

wrench

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Jay, let me know when you finally do an open mic because I want to buy a ticket. That was real pleasant to listen to, my friend.

AcousticAl

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Blown away again, Jay. You seem to play and sing at the same time effortlessly now-- though I know it's not easy.

How are you getting better at it? Especially with the complicated fingerpicking and singing? Repetition? Slowing it down? Vulcan mind trickery? Do share.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 am

To almost quote TGMatt, "The cream of the posts rises to the top"

Hey Jay, if you haven't seen this, it's definitely a complement to Neil's spot-on lesson.

jayswett

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 am

That was a great video. I hadn't seen that before so thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention. I do love that song alot.

Al, I took a page out of your book and just slowed it down mightily until I could get the vocals and guitar playing to coincide reasonably well. It remains a struggle. I have been working on Circle Game and the singing/playing thing can be very frustrating for me. As I've said, before, it takes me a long, long time to get things coordinated well enough to play for you and our other TG friends.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic