Response to Norwegian Wood by MarkM

TGNeil

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:12 am

UGH............

Well earlier today when I should have been working on the Elton John colaboration, I got a bit side tracked and decided to play around with my new microphone and Audacity. I wanted to go to a song that I knew fairly well and decided to drag out Norwegian Wood again. I took some tips that Neil left me on the "You've got to hide your love away" upload in regards to lightening up a bit on the pick. Well I grabed the camera and then plugged in my new mic and directly recorded the audio to Audacity while I recorded the video on the camera.

The good news was that it really only took me a real short time to actually get the guitar and vocals down. The bad news was that I had a (&%($& of a time getting it put all together. I wound up transfering all the files to my wifes laptop as it is the most powerful in the house at this time and worked it through Premier Elements 8. Flying by the seat of my pants and not really looking at the directions I was able to lock in the audio and video pretty good. Added a title and off I went to "share" it with my computer. Well I would get great video but no audio and it was driving me crazy. Long story long I decided to try and share it in AVI format and it worked. The video quality didn't come out as good as I would have liked but it's late (12:38AM) and it's a school night so I wanted to get this out and see what the feed back was when I get up in the morning.

The Taylor DN8 has no electronics so what you hear is just my mic aimed just behind the soundhole. The vocal is just me singing into the same mic into Audacity on the computer. I had a couple of takes so I used a portion of another one to overdub the two sections in the song where Paul joins. Although the song probably needs it, I didn't add any effects. I was pleasantly surprised at how warm the sound was that the mic was picking up. I don't normally hear that from where my ears are.

Thanks for reading through this and watching. As always I'm ready for the comments and suggestions. Oh and if you got headphones I would suggest them as this sounds a bit better with them.

MarkM

MarkM

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:17 am

Neil,

Thanks so much for the attention on this song. I must say that tip on the Dm fingering from Dm to G and then from Dm to Em7 was great. I normally play the Dm with a free ring finger (like you suggested) in most of the other songs but on this one going to the 4 fingered G I just kept the ring finger locked on the string. I tried playing it this way (the way you just showed) and it worked out really well. Making that Em7 ring out right away. Thank you. As for the normal 3 fingered G, I have now switched over to that almost exclusively. That was painful for a while but I'm there on everything but the songs that I learned along time ago. Still trying to break that muscle memory on those songs. Your fingering on the A I usually use as well on newer songs and in this song I could use it but for some reason with the capo on the second fret and less room, I find it easier to use the M R P fingers. I will keep trying to use your fingering on the A on this song as I continue to practice. As for the singing portion, what you demonstrated helped allot. Nice singing by the way.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic