Response to Sister Golden Hair by Tovo

TGNeil

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:15 am

I learned this song for a simple reason - to improve my barre chords, particularly up the neck. I've been playing with a friend who is a better player and who uses a lot of barre chords up the neck and I was keen to move my playing in that direction. After seeing Dog so it and watching the lesson I thought that SGH would fit the bill nicely.

I think I can sing it but I really wanted to post a video for review of my playing. I really dig the singing videos from others which I find very entertaining but I wanted the focus here to be on the guitar.

Couple of things I picked up myself, the thumb makes a big appearance whenever I play an E, but I have big hands and I don't feel my position on it is bad, but you guys are the best judge of that. I am spending too much time looking at the fretting hand in fear of making a mistake, something I do less when the camera isn't on.

Finally, I only played through an intro, couple of verses, chorus and outro. Didn't feel the need to bore you all with another 2 minutes of strumming.

The song has done it's job, I feel much more confident with those barres. In line with Neil's teaching philosophy, I am finding I can apply these chords to a huge range of songs. One of them is an absolute Australian classic that the Aussies would pick but few of you Americans or Europeans would know. I wonder if any of the Aussies can guess it?

Anyway, thanks for looking.

michelew

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:56 am

Great response. THanks Neil and Tony for posting it. Cool song.

coomba

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 am

dido
Im working on bar chords and your upload Tony and Neils response are a big help Thanks
Cheer
Scott

tovo

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:23 am

Well I really appreciate it Neil thank you. It's also cool that all the points Neil raised (particularly the timing of the change from C#m to A) were raised in the feedback I received from other members. Of course I'll also work to relax the chord between changes.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic