Imagine... with the musical stylings of McFingers (Steve)

mcfingers

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi gang, I wanted to try out my new Kodak Zi8 and I have been working the last couple of days on John Lennon's Imagine. I was in a pretty good mood so I could resist the corny title to this post. The new camera now has me playing as the righty I am. No more mirroring problems.
I must have gone through about 6-7 takes. This is # 6 though I almost posted #5, not because it's better but because it had several flubs and catches that I just powered through. This take has it's share of goofs as well but as Neil says just keep the right hand going and make the left catch up. At least I think he said something like that. I may post #5 just for learning purposes later.

A side note, this video didn't post with the quality I had hoped. I must be doing something wrong because is was recorded a 720i and looked great before I uploaded it. Any suggestions on what quality I should choose for uploading?

All suggestions and comments are welcomed,
Thanks,
Steve

RicksPick

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Steve

No need to change any settings, came through crystal here
Video is perfectly clear, sound picked up both guitar and voice nicely too
Framing to see your left hand is the only thing to say,
So very good investment there.
Congrats on a nice sounding tune m8

RicksPick

mcfingers

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks Rick, Good to know that the quality of picture isn't as bad as I thought. When I compressed the video for YouTube it cut off the sides putting it into a 4:3 ratio instead of the wide angle I filmed it in. It's just as well because I was using the less favored fingering on my G chords instead of the last three fingers. I do use that fingering about 50% of the time. I just didn't need my littler finger for any notes in this song so I reverted back to the first three fingers in my G. I'll work on that.
Thanks for taking a look and for you comments.

Steve

haoli25

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Sounds good to me Steve. Nice to see you as a 'righty'. lol great picture quality with the new camera. I look forward to many more video posts from you.

Bill Image

d_dog

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Really great Steve. I think you did just great on the song. Unfortunately we can't see your left hand too well. I'm sure that the original wasn't sliced off on the sides. I have a Zi8 too, but I use a Mac. So the provided software doesn't work for me, which is probably what you're using I'm assuming to make and upload the video? If not, what are you using as far as video programs? YouTube will accept higher resolution movies as well as 16x9 widescreen formats. The program you're using to upload probably isn't set to upload the higher resolution and widescreen format, it's squishing it down in the old YouTube style video spec's. I'll poke around and see what I can see about that Zi8 software.
Great job though. You probably already know, but the Zi8 camera will accept an external mic as well, this will VASTLY improve the audio.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Really enjoyable Steve, nice job and really well sung... that closet door is wide open today what with you and Damian singing Beatles so well. Great to see you in HD and the right way around. Welcome to the Kodak Zi8 Club! Nice crisp video and sound. Not sure why it was cropped, something to do with the way you saved it or uploaded it I guess. The ancient tradition of awarding pizza points seems to have faded away at TG, I'm reviving it here and award you the Biggest Pizza in the House points for that!

mcfingers

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:14 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Really enjoyable Steve, nice job and really well sung... that closet door is wide open today what with you and Damian singing Beatles so well. Great to see you in HD and the right way around. Welcome to the Kodak Zi8 Club! Nice crisp video and sound. Not sure why it was cropped, something to do with the way you saved it or uploaded it I guess. The ancient tradition of awarding pizza points seems to have faded away at TG, I'm reviving it here and award you the Biggest Pizza in the House points for that!
:woohoo: Suhweet! I love pizza and thanks for the nice words. I think my problems are with me, not the camera. I just need to dig in an fiddle about more. I have used a Mac for ages but never really got into the video aspect. I guess the time has come.
Thanks again Chris.

I think we are having pepperoni tonight!

mcfingers

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:20 pm

d_dog wrote:
Really great Steve. I think you did just great on the song. Unfortunately we can't see your left hand too well. I'm sure that the original wasn't sliced off on the sides. I have a Zi8 too, but I use a Mac. So the provided software doesn't work for me, which is probably what you're using I'm assuming to make and upload the video? If not, what are you using as far as video programs? YouTube will accept higher resolution movies as well as 16x9 widescreen formats. The program you're using to upload probably isn't set to upload the higher resolution and widescreen format, it's squishing it down in the old YouTube style video spec's. I'll poke around and see what I can see about that Zi8 software.
Great job though. You probably already know, but the Zi8 camera will accept an external mic as well, this will VASTLY improve the audio.
Thanks Dog, I think I am responsible for cutting off my right hand. I selected 4:3 when I compressed the video because I thought that's what YouTube accepted. As I told Chris I have been using Mac's since 1989, I just never really got into the video aspect. My current Mac is a 20" iMac that I have had for almost 2 years. I have Gargeband/iLife 09 and would like to us it to spice up my videos. I think you did something like that. At least I think it was you. I used iMovie to edit the front and end of my video but I don't really know what I am doing yet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

mcfingers

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Bill, Thanks for the BIG thumbs UP. It's appreciated.

tovo

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Hey Steve. Real good job I thought, very nice vibe to the song. Not an easy one to sing as it gets up pretty high eh? But I thought you pulled it off well and I enjoyed the listen. I suspect Neil will be able to suggest some embellishments to really get the guitar aspect sounding brilliant, it sounds fine right now though.

In terms of the Camera, I think you probably checked out your video right after uploading when it is still being processed by YouTube. The quality at that point isn't up to speed but as you can see now it's nice and clear. I have that camera (when I can wrestle it from my wife which is fun in itself) and I think it's great value. I think there are at least 5 people on the site using it.

Anywhoo, good job mate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic