Response to Rocky Raccoon Collaboration by MarkM and D_Dog

TGNeil

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi all. I think I have now flushed all my recent work (well just about) and will get back to learning some new material. This here is the story we all know well of Rocky Raccoon. This was another great song on the Beatles White Album. I had tried to play this on and off over the years without giving it much thought until recenlty when I wanted to get it right (or in this case close enough to recognize I hope). I wanted to give singing a go on this one but the takes hurt both my and my dogs ears to the point where we said No Mas..... I reached out to D_Dog/Damian thinking that he could get close to Pauls register without hurting himself. I am pleased that he accepted the offer and this is what we came up with. Nothing fancy as this was really quick and off the cuff on my part. I just sent him the audio file and he attached his singing and sent it back last night. A little Adobe pixie dust and here you go. There had been a few threads about flatpicking the bass note and then strumming. This is hardly the textbook application of that but it is in this song on every 4th beat. Hopefully this will show the technique, albeit in a less than perfect manner. Well that's it for my posting video's for a while as I have to work on some of the other stuff.

Thanks for the help Damian.

As always I would like to hear your comments and suggestions on how to improve on this.

MarkM

MarkM

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks Neil!!! I was working on those individual bass notes and didn't want to miss them so as to make sure that Damian had a good recording to work with. Thus the constant looking at my pick hand. I was actually listening to original recording in my earphones, trying to keep the exact time. I have a tendency to play things too fast and wanted to keep it to its true pace. I really like the idea of adding that last upstroke especially in the beginning. Thanks again for the tips. They are always great and help me out tremendously. Yeah you are 100% correct on Damian's voice. It's great!!

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic