Old Man -1st attempt

captainkdp

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Have been working on this one, but know It needs work, especially on the hammer-ons and palm muting claw hand thing. Comments please.

tovo

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Hey Captain, good job.

I'll just comment on the hammer-ons as that's what I noticed the most. It seemed they were there but not aggressive enough. You appeared to be just lifting and placing the finger rather than hammering it down to get a good tone. Like I said, they seemed to all be there in the right place and the right time, just too timid.

As you get more familiar with the song you can get more feel into it as well.

Great work, thanks for posting it.

suziko

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi Captain,

I'd like to comment on the technical side of your post, but I haven't dared try play this song yet, nor am I advanced enough as a guitarist to really give you much feedback. As you stated, the song still needs some work, but I have always enjoyed when people post "works in progress" threads, so that we can see how you're progressing on a certain song. I'd recommend you do that with this song. In a week or two give us an update on it so we can see how it's sounding.

Thanks! Suzi

Lavallee

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi Captain, I agree you did a good job. You remember all the notes and the strumming which is the tedious part. Now the fun begins, the tweaking. One of the first thing you should look into is focus on hitting the bass notes instead of strumming through. At 2 .00 in the video you do a bass line which sounds very good, so you can do it no problem.

Good work

Marc

d_dog

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Nice Captain! My only suggestion is to lighten up on the picking a bit, I seems like you're grip might be a bit too tight. Some of the strings are really "twanging" Maybe a lighter pick too? Anyway, nice job on this one, looking forward to hear more, and maybe an update on this one in the near future.

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey captain good job putting up a work in progress, especially with a song that has reasonably difficult techniques to master.

You yourself mentioned hammer ons same as Tony so you know about them. My thing to pick out would be how tightly you are holding the pick, the sound I hear is very staccato and not smooth enough, check out Neils vids on holding a pick, lighten up a bit and then concentrate on those individual notes in the Dm9 and D chords where the hammer ons occur. This is not an easy combination to do as you need the percussive palm mute on the saddle at the same time as picking, a lot going on just over one or two chords. As Neil states there is no right or wrong way to play this as Young himself varies everytime you hear it.

The run at the end of the verse, last couple of bars then into the chorus are sounding good then the quick changes from Am7 to Em7 then to G sound good. Its all there just tweaks as Marc pointed out.

Like Suzi , I look forward to your update.

Cheers

Chas

Craig

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey Captain,
I'm not good enough to offer technical advice, but I am a big fan of the song and can say that you aren't too far off from nailing it! Keep working on it and you will have it cleaned up real soon. The problem for me is that you have inspired me to start working on that song when I haven't mastered any of the ones I am practicing! :laugh: I'll add another one to the list!
Good job!
Craig

jayswett

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Not an easy song, and overall well done. I agree with the comments about holding the pick perhaps with more flexibility, softer, something like that. I commend you for taking a crack at making the palm muting thing at the beginning work. I agree with you that it needs work, but I would encourage you to stick with it as the palm muting is such an important part of that intro. I enjoyed watching you play this very much.

haoli25

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:12 pm

I agree with Jay, that is not an easy song to play. I think you are doing just fine Kirk. Slow it down and gradually bring your speed back up. Stay with it Kirk.

Bill Image

captainkdp

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Many good pointers folks, thanks to all (and Neil for a great lesson). Will post another when I add some pollish to it..
So many songs to learn, so little time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic