Irish Dance by Michele

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:31 am

I just realised I have a slight advantage over you with moving away from the soundhole and you will see what I mean if you check the soundhole on my photo of my Hirade here

http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... otoid=2385

RicksPick

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:36 am

Hi Michele

that was stunningly beautiful
Problems ? Very small ones

You did look tense though, I was waiting for your smile x
As for the vibrato, I practice this and hammer on and pull offs by trying to play every note in a song with the one I'm practicing. So what I'm saying is play almost every note as vibrato, give it a try ? gives you lots of practice without the pressure of getting one note to sound right.?????

You do play very nicely

RicksPick

michelew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:45 am

Thanks Rick. That's an interesting approach, never thought of that. ta

Michele

bethroe56

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:53 am

That is great Michelle.
You are improving by leaps and bounds!

jayswett

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:02 am

I can't see anything in that video that would justify a suggestion for improvement. It was nearly perfect from what I could tell. I'm not sure what you guys mean by the quick arpeggios so I will have to go back and watch the lesson again. As for the vibrato, Hector does makes it look easy, but you are not to far behind. Give it a week and you'll be right there. Your hand position continues to be exactly what I aspire to. Both you and the guitar looked great. I didn't see any evidence of tenseness, nervousness at all. Overall, that might have been your best performance, although Bring on the Wonder is hard to top.

jayswett

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:46 am

I just watched Hector's lesson again.
1) I see now what you mean by the quick arpeggios.
2) This is a great lesson. Hector has a very gentle, encouraging way about him. I'm looking forward to seeing more lessons from him.
3) The Conclusion part of his video was nice in how he puts into words what we all strive for as musicians. And as an aside, I love refering to all of us as musicians. I would not have applied that term to myself a year ago. I thank TG and all its members for that.

Lavallee

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:50 am

Michele,You gave a great rendition of the Irish Dance. Your adding some intensity emotion that I like a lot. The difference with Hector is on the vibratos, as you said, but he has a few years of experience behind him. I am also working on it but on the steel guitar ansd it does not sound anywhere good as you.

Great job

Marc

dennisg

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 am

Michele, I love this video! I had two immediate reactions after watching it: 1) It's just stunning watching your progress as a guitar player. I think you are really a courageous person, willing to try any number of things outside your comfort zone, and I can only applaud, admire, and envy that quality in you; and 2) If this song is rated a 1, then I understand nothing about the rating system. Irish Dance strikes me as being leaps and bounds more difficult than a simply strummed campfire song. But, really, whatever its rating, you played it absolutely beautifully.

I didn't think you were over-empahsizing the bass notes, as you mentioned. But I did think your left hand looked tense at times. There were moments when you mistimed the vibrato, and others when the tension in your hand seemed to prevent the vibrato effect I think you were looking for. Also, I completely agree with Mark that it's very difficult to achieve a good vibrato effect when it occurs on a single quick beat in a measure. It's hard enough to achieve that on a single note, let alone an entire chord.

Your new guitar sounds vibrant and rich, and it was just a pleasure hearing it put to such good use on a song like this.

One more observation: if this is what an early version of this song sounds like, your polished versions are going to be stunning.

BobR

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:29 am

Michele, I must admit I haven't seen Hector's lesson, so I can only comment on what you played. I thought it was really, really well done. I enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait to see what you post as improved.

Great job
Bob

jim56

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:41 am

Hey Michele, Well done, that sounded very nice. One thought I have is the placement of your right arm. Your wrist appears to twist to the right when over the strings. Check out Hectors video and you'll see what I mean. By keeping the wrist straight and comparing your arm to that of a tone arm on a record player (or phonograph)which moves as one unit over the record you can see the advantage. To demonstrate what I mean, hold your arm out level to the floor. Now make a fist several time, no problem right?. Next, bend your wrist down to the floor and try making a fist. Starts to hurt after awhile. This is a technique I picked up from researching, I love to learn new things! Thanks for sharing your video. -Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic