Irish Dance by Michele

dennisg

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Michele, I'll mention something that we talked about many months ago. The reason some people get tense when the camera gets turned on is because they're not used to it. Period. If the camera were on every day, it would become meaningless after a short while.

I don't know what your living situation is, so I don't want to presume that you can do carry out this suggestion. But if your guitar setup will accommodate it, you might consider leaving your camera set up all the time. Record your practice sessions every day (that, in itself, has its benefits). After a week or two of this, being on camera will have zero effect on you.

suziko

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Michele,

I wish I could offer you some advice, but honestly I thought it sounded great. I don't know enough about classical guitar technique to comment on your vibrato, but it certainly sounded "vibrate-y" to me, which is what I think of for vibrato!

I'd say it's a job well-done. For a "1" song, this song has plenty of challenges. And, as Mark said before me, it's nice to hear a song played well, regardless of how difficult the song itself is. And you played this song really well.

Suzi

michelew

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks y'all!

Beaker - it's a good suggestion I think I'll need to record more frequently to get used to it.

Buddy - thanks - I'm glad you liked it. You seem to have been influenced by Kevin - who also triple bravos. thanks

Damian (I like calling you Dog - perhaps because we have a Bear - but let me know which you prefer - I'm assuming it is Damian) - Thank you - I agree that the multiple plays approach is a good one. I sort of do that but if the performance is going well I often tense up because I get distracted by the thought that it is going well.

Dennis - You're right. What you're suggesting makes perfect sense. I haven't done it to date because I use iMovie and the camera in my mac to record and I'm concerned about clogging up my computer's memory with substandard performances that I'm never going to post. So I generally practice until I think is it as good as it is going to get for the moment (with my current skills) and then start recording it until I produce something that I'm reasonably happy with - or happy enough. But, I think I do exactly what Neil says not to do. I try and deliver the best performance I can with all the highest quality pieces from my previous practice sessions, or as a minimum a performance that is at least as good as my best. I think the desire to produce a really good performance is a large part of what is getting me in trouble. I get a little distracted by wanting to do it well and then the tension that comes from recording adds to it. I try to talk myself out of this and to just deliver a reasonable performance, but the perfectionist in me (and probably ego too) kicks in and says 'you know you can do that better'. Anyway...vicious cycle. I think I might start recording earlier as a minimum and acknowledge to myself that this is about practising the performance side of it while getting the song into shape. Thanks for reminding me. I've also wondered whether swimming or something that will tire me out a bit and take the nervous edge off might also help - I might just try that next time too.

Suzi - Thanks! I've just watched Neil's response (which is soooo cool) and he has advice about how to work on vibrato - yeh! But, I glad you could hear it at least.

ta

Michele

Catman

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:43 am

Late to the thread as usual...

Michele, you are advancing your musicianship in leaps and bounds! Keep it up.

David

michelew

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 am

Thanks David. It's nice being called a musician and knowing that my 'musicianship' is advancing. Woo hoo!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic