Irish Dance by Michele

michelew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:11 am

This is the current status of my Irish Dance. I'm stuck and need help. I found quite a few things challenging in this song, especially considering that it is rated 1;

- vibrato,
- separating out the notes in the chords to form very quick arpeggios (especially at a reasonable speed),
- keeping it light while still keeping the melody notes prominent (I think I'm playing the bass too hard) and
- moving toward the bridge with the right hand to change the tone without loosing my place on the strings.

I'd especially like any advice that you all have on separating the notes in the chords and producing a better vibrato effect.

As usual, I found that as soon as I turn on the video camera my hands get tense and tight and everything gets hard.

I have a new guitar as you may have noticed and am no longer using a strap, I'm using a foot stool instead. The strings also seem to be at a higher tension - especially the trebles, but maybe I'm imagining things here. These are things I'm still getting use to.

This is a beautiful song - especially the way Hector plays it.

Thanks

Michele

haoli25

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:38 am

That sounded great Michele. An absolute pleasure to listen to. I think the vibrato will improve with more practice, just relax and be patient with yourself. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

willem

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:51 am

I sat here in my castle and on a moment there came a minstrel and began to play and the lovely maidens began to dance,well that was in my thoughts,you did in my ears beautifull..

NiCE guitar,,nice sound,,new woods he.

I love this lesson,,only listen to it now i must try.

I wonder of Hector comes in here..goodluck Michelle,you did great.

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:04 am

Well done Michele,

I am going to put this up shortly also, I had to laugh I have exactly the same problems you talk of,
the vibrato and also the very slight arpeggio.

I am finding that the vibrato works better if you vibrate sooner, I note yours comes slightly after picking the strings, I haven't managed consistency yet with this as the timing of the putting on the vibrato is so slight its so easy to miss time it.

The arpeggio on the chord in particular the Am is beyond me also at present, I can get it when I play it really slowly but at correct tempo, nada!!

I have found that to get the feel when moving to the bridge you need to take it off the soundhole , I note you only move slightly back and still cover the soundhole. PLus when I watched Hector closely (had to do that on You Tube as I can't get the TG vids to work) he really lifts his fingers off in a flourish and that does seem to work, I know what you mean about losing your place though, I guess this will be down to muscle memory.

All the same you did the tune justice, I think despite its #1 rating a 1 for Hector is different than Neils 1's. I hope to have mine up next weekend. So maybe a week more on practice it may come up to your standard of fluency.

Well done girl!

tovo

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:05 am

Umm Michele I'm wondering where the weakness is?

I'm far from qualified to comment on this piece so I will wait for someone who can actually help, but it looked very precise to me and the new guitar looks and sounds wonderful.

I applaud your determination to be as good as you can possibly be...and it's happening VERY quickly.

Good work.

mark

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:34 am

Hi Michele

You played that really well. Clean and up to tempo.
I wouldn't worry about it only being rated as a one.
A one played really well sounds much better than a seven which is fumbled through.

I think it is really good that you have put in such a good performance and yet you know exactly what you want to improve. You can't fail to get better and better.

I can't offer much about the vibrato. I'm trying to get it right as well.
You might find it easier when you play a song where the chords are held a bit longer.
Classical vibrato is a subtle technique anyway. We aren't shaking it like Hendrix here.

With the quick appeggios, I think it is a matter of time.
I found that when I tried it, a lot of times it would just come out as a block chord but sometimes it would come out right. The more I tried it, the hit rate of getting it right gradually got better.
Maybe isolate just the appeggio and play it over and over for a couple of minutes every day.
I think with things like that it is best to practice that for short periods often, rather than for long periods. Hopefully that stops it from becoming frustrating.

michelew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:38 am

Thanks guys.

Bill - yes I'm sure it about practice, still how to practice efficiently is escaping me at the moment. Thanks your your support.

Willem - I'm glad you liked it. You have a great imagination. It is actually fun to learn - just tricky to get it the way Hector plays it. GIve it a go. THe sound of the guitar seems is nice and should improve being spruce.

Chas - I'm glad you are experiencing the same issues. When the camera is off and I'm relaxed I actually do an OK job at some of the issues and play future down toward the bridge and do better vibratos, but my hands were just too tense to do them Ok and this overall was the best take. In some I did much better vibratos and then missed notes; Oh well. I can't wait to see your version. And your new guitar.

Tony - thanks - you're a sweetie. THanks. I'm enjoying the new guitar - is yours back yet ?

Thanks for your encouragement.

Michele

michelew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:43 am

Thanks Mark. You snuck in while I was responding. That is great advice. Yes I think I played it too long today especially, I got to grrrr-level. I'll try your arpeggio approach. Sometimes when I do the vibrato I crack myself up because I shake the whole guitar. I think part of the solution is relaxing - ha!...relaxing - not so easy for me - but I'm working on it.

Thanks

Michele

tovo

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:21 am

Sometimes I get my arpeggio caught in my vibrato and man...that smarts!

Michele, the Larrivee is still in the shop! Long story I won't bore you with here.

Now back to praising Michele please...

michelew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:25 am

I hope your Larrivee is home soon. I'm sure the rest of the family misses it dearly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic